You know, we haven’t had a good Flag Drama in a while . . .

Postby Divemistress of the Dark on 03 Mar 2008 19:04

Well, I can try, but again: Not only is he busy working on FIVE orchestral pieces for most of the U.S.-based Nutters to see in TWENTY THREE DAYS (ahem), but many of us will actually see him then...STEWART, we promise not to fill up your Q&A with too much Flag-related business, especially since the fine people of Savannah who will also have paid their $35 to get in will have no idea what you're talking about, but something tells me the subject just may come up.

I think a lot of people made great remarks in the previous posts, but again, what DM said:

[quote]Of course, TP.com has no obligation to give me additional information, and therefore I cannot know what the behind-the-scenes reality is. But if I'm being asked to participate, I shouldn't have to guess either. All I've got to go on is what was presented to me. Apologies to any drummers or drummers' progeny or long-time fans working for Management that may have been involved, but imho -- whether intended or not -- the presentation came off as appropriation and commodification. [/quote]

Hear, hear.

STEWART: In case you're still lurking out there (and don't feel pressured to reply to this, it's intended only as a clarification of some of the finer points you may have missed, having not had much time to hang out on the message board the past few months.) Disclaimer: Various people may disagree on relevant details, which is of course their right.

We miss you terribly, O erstwhile correspondent, but we understand about the corporate behemoths that run things like high-grossing concert reunion tours these days. We also understand that Sting had a system of corporate management in place that came about before any talk of reunion tours, $15 fake backstage VIP laminates or Police-branded Fidel caps came along. We know this is what Sting is into now, and we suspect strongly that your options were to go along with it or give up on a tour that you had good reason to believe would make a lot of little fan-girl and -boy hearts beat very quickly. You have now dispensed joy to said hearts on quite literally a global scale, and having not doubted for one second that this was all well within the realm of probability, we, your fans, decided we needed to support you and this tour in whatever ways were available to us as individuals.

However, I think I speak for quite a few of us here on SC.net when I say there are a few things about which we are not happy. We're not happy none of your or Andy's songs are in the current setlist. We're not happy when we hear you've wanted to invite guest musicians or mix up the arrangements and those plans are mysteriously vetoed. We're not happy when you express some of the sentiments that make you so special to us on your own damn message board, an international kerfuffle ensues, and now all of a sudden not only can you not talk to us (although, again, we realize you're busy, and some of it is that), but somehow we don't even get to read nearly as many interviews with you any more.

Even though none of these facts make us want to jump up and down with glee, we can live with them. Here's why: We trust your judgment. If you tell us this is what's involved to make this tour come off, for all the reasons I just mentioned (the global joy part - I wouldn't take anything for having gotten to see that Jose photo - or having heard the fifty million other great stories that have been related to this tour), we'll support you as best we can. But you have to understand: We go along with all this corporate stuff because we're your fans, and we know how this has to go, but our loyalty is to you and the other fans who have loved your work on Yahoo groups, and fansites like Wombat's, the Backstage, Policefans, and this community at SC.net first.

We were here before this tour came about, and most joyously we will be here after it's over. We know someday you'll get to post more Dinner Tales, and that now your profile has been raised, you may get to make that second concert-footage movie you were talking about (or make another Oysterhead record, or do a U.S. Gizmo tour, or write more orchestral pieces...you get the idea). We can't wait. But you're going to have to tell us some of this backroom stuff ahead of time if you want us to play ball with Clear Channel.

So do us a favor this one last time. You remember how your voiceover for ES:TPIO mentioned that in this documentary, you're in the band, and your name is Stewart? You're going to have to do that for us again. If Jordan is involved with this DVD project, you bet your bottom dollar we will knock ourselves out to help him, because he's your kid and we are your fans (and we've all seen the Fiction Plane video that he's directed, you must be so proud of him). But you're going to have to draw us a picture, to let us know how you need the pieces of this all to fit together.

[Edited to add: I realize journalists and the public read this website, and that no "backroom stuff" is appropriate for this forum. However, Gio does have an awful lot of email addresses, and there's more than one way to skin a cat on this kind of thing.]

Look, we know you're busy. And we know that you do a lot of this stuff out of appreciation for the fan community, and that some of the finer points of these details may seem like a pain in the ass to grasp. So just bear with me for a couple of paragraphs longer.

Outlando makes a good point, this video does not need to be 80% Sting. We're not Sting haters here; a lot of us give him a lot of credit for good things that have happened both in his solo career and now on this tour. But - I'm speaking for myself now - it breaks my heart to see you give an interview in which you say you and Andy are getting "too much credit" on the part of the fan community for your work with the Police.

There would be no Police without you and Andy. You can say whatever you want about it to whomever you want, obviously. But I don't think there's even an iota of possibility that you will ever - ever - convince we fans of that.

Oh, and p.s. We can't wait for the orchestral pieces.

One more thing, to the Nutters: If a redhead-with-glasses movement starts up, I'm showing to Savannah in a blond wig and wearing my contacts. Don't you think for a minute I won't do it.

Jesus, I love you guys. And Stewart, there's just no way to express to you the gratitude for having introduced us all to the brothers and sisters we never knew we had, all over the world. And you wonder why we're so crazily loyal to you. Thank you. We'll never be able to say it enough. We love you. - Dive
Last edited by Divemistress of the Dark on 03 Mar 2008 19:49, edited 1 time in total.
On Google - site:stewartcopeland.net "your keyword here" - thanks DM!!
Divemistress of the Dark

Postby Spec A! on 03 Mar 2008 19:28

Just a thought, but that post, along with a few others I've read recently (and last years' countdown poems), needs to go in the book Gio.
Spec A!

Postby empty on 03 Mar 2008 19:48

[quote="Divemistress of the Dark"]

One more thing, to the Nutters: If a redhead-with-glasses movement starts up, I'm showing to Savannah in a blond wig and wearing my contacts. Don't you think for a minute I won't do it.

Jesus, I love you guys. And Stewart, there's just no way to express to you the gratitude for having introduced us all to the brothers and sisters we never knew we had, all over the world. And you wonder why we're so crazily loyal to you. Thank you. We'll never be able to say it enough. We love you. - Dive[/quote]

Ok, love this post for MANY reasons, but man, I gotta agree with Dive up there.

MOSTLY for the STEWART love, honor and thanks, but also for the red head with glasses movement.

We are who we are peeps, and STEWART loves us all. equally. en masse, cause we are a mess, I mean, masse. :wink:

I seriously can't show up blondeness and with contacts, for many reasons (skin tone, serious astigmatism) but if everyone started doing that, I would be sorely tempted.

May just have to find the Krypton Green wig from CHAlloween instead. But that thing was nasty...

We're all unique, we're all individuals, and well, we're all nutters. And I love you all just as you are. I am SURE the Maestro does as well.

Vive la Difference!
Playing drums is Hard Fucking Work
empty

Postby samburusunset on 03 Mar 2008 19:55

Am I the only one that needed tissues while reading Dive's post??

You said a lot of stuff that needs to have been said. Thank you, Dive.
(Bet The Man needs tissues, too.)

WE LOVE YOU STEWART! :D

Can't wait to see you in Savannah!

NOW GET BACK TO WORK, MISTER!
Stewart and Stanley together again!! YO!
samburusunset

Postby policefan on 03 Mar 2008 20:00

Yeah,

that was just lovely what you said, Dive!
policefan

Postby TOWOS on 03 Mar 2008 20:02

Hey Megs/Dive,

Feel the need to point out that mine was, obviously, a joke.
In fact, my eyes are too freaking gorgeous and resplendent with all the colors in the Universe to be confined behind a pair of glasses.
(bats lashes)
And those who met me in NY are fully aware that my hair are, in fact, a flowing mass of gorgeous dyed auburn and will stay that way. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Having said that, I am fully aware of the importance of preserving our own physical integrity, nationality, and psychology. Was never a fan of startrekky uniformity, even if my heart belongs to this place and our staunch loyalty of the Man makes us One.

Besides, I will be well-hidden during the event, so that no one can remotely see me. Maybe I will wear an Intifada scarf on my face, much to the chagrin of my husband 8).
"I.Know.This.Name"!
(Humbly asks for forgiveness to the legitimate owner of the avi)
TOWOS

Location: In the wrong place at the wrong time, with the wrong thing to say.

Postby Divemistress of the Dark on 03 Mar 2008 20:07

No sweat, toots. Can't wait to meet you and admire that mop of yourn in person.

(The real irony is that I haven't yet met Megs or DM either, although apparently we're some kind of myopic flame-topped triple threat...;))

Thanks for the kind words, all. What can I say, I guess I'm the lucky simian (put 100 monkeys in front of typewriters and they'll deliver the Magna Carta...no wait, was it blind pigs and baiting with early worms......?)

;)
Last edited by Divemistress of the Dark on 03 Mar 2008 20:11, edited 2 times in total.
Divemistress of the Dark

Postby BongoBoy on 03 Mar 2008 20:10

Holy Mother of Roto Toms !

Everybody Fuckin relax.

It takes me half an hour to read all this and get my fucking protractor and bunsen burner to do elaborite experiments to extract the fucking information I need to figure out what has gone horribly wrong with our Flaggie,Stewart and the fucking DVD.

I now have a mental picture of Stewart standing up in a board room yelling across the table at some SUV driving 30 something suit who has Klark Kent all in his face about profits from pictures of some green cloth freaks.

Look what we have fucking become.....

...makes me Damn proud to be rubbin shoulders with you Nutters.

If the Flag has NO coverage in the DVD we will all have another talk. THAT would suck, to me.

I hope the story is in there...I think it's positive and fun. It seems like Stewart would want that. I think whatever he (and Dirty) want, cool with me.

Whew, Ok so what the fuck else has happened.

I start playing acoustic tunes with a buddy, trying to start a band, gettin on the mic like Stewart suggests, and this happens.

WE NEED CELL PHONE SC.NET FLAG ARGUMENT ALERTS.

Some of us play Fucking Bongo's and don't have the time to investigate....ha!...Sherlock fucking Holmes wouldn't have the time for all the trouble makers here. heh,heh.

Ahhh makes me proud !!!.

Alright?....what now?

BongoIsFuckingExhaustedFromThinking O !
BongoBoy

Postby TOWOS on 03 Mar 2008 20:15

[quote="Divemistress of the Dark"]No sweat, toots. Can't wait to meet you and admire that mop of yourn in person.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: "Wop Mop" is more like it!!!! (Eh, *I* - and anybody Italian/w. Italian heritage can say the "W" word, but will personally smite anyone who dares using it.. :wink: )

(The real irony is that I haven't yet met Megs or DM either, although apparently we're some kind of myopic flame-topped triple threat...;))

BA-DA-BOOOOOOOM!!!!!
And yes, I cannot wait either and actually witness that you and DM are 2 different people and not Supergirl and Lois Lane....

;)[/quote] :wink:
"I.Know.This.Name"!
(Humbly asks for forgiveness to the legitimate owner of the avi)
TOWOS

Location: In the wrong place at the wrong time, with the wrong thing to say.

Postby DirtyMartini on 03 Mar 2008 20:56

[quote="TOWOS"]How does it feel when you are addressed by the Man with "Come on, Dirty, you enjoyed the little rush...[/quote]

Stewart, call me. :wink:

[quote="TOWOS"]And yes, I cannot wait either and actually witness that you and DM are 2 different people and not Supergirl and Lois Lane....[/quote]

You take Supergirl, DD -- I'm way too large for all that spandex.
Dramatic highlights & a unique musical cosmos. Guaranteed.
DirtyMartini

Postby Skip on 03 Mar 2008 21:03

DM is the best.
That is all.
Skip

Postby Skip on 03 Mar 2008 21:03

Double post - - sorry!
I've been away for a bit , I'm a wee bit rusty.
Skip

Postby Lynne on 03 Mar 2008 21:17

Dive, thanks for that. Well said. Captures a lot of what I'm too inarticulate to say.
... trained by the CIA to accept vast quantities of information at high speed in binary code
Lynne

Location: "Forty-something now, but still looking pretty good."

Postby policerule on 03 Mar 2008 21:17

i just love it when bongo posts. :lol:
READY THE BLADE!
policerule

Postby Divemistress of the Dark on 03 Mar 2008 21:22

Yeah, but now it's you, me, AND Meg, Dirty. Hm. Two of us could wear wigs and we could go for Charlie's Angels, but that would defeat the purpose, eh?

(She IS the best, Skip. I'm hoping to get to see Righteous Indignation one of these days...for some reason I'm channeling that scene from LOTR where Cate Blanchett, as Galadriel, is towering over everybody...;))

[xposted with folks: thanks Lynne; my only quarrel with Bongo is that in his exasperation he has forgotten our motto, or at least forgotten to include it: anyone for a nice frosty can of "for fuck's sake"? ;)]
Last edited by Divemistress of the Dark on 03 Mar 2008 21:25, edited 1 time in total.
Divemistress of the Dark

PreviousNext

Return to THE KRYPTON FORUM