Madame was so Stewpid in class

Postby E on 22 May 2008 19:09

[quote="luddite lady"]Right now I'm cruising the flag gallery to find a good shot of the back of the flag to help explain how the fans sign it. It's fucking hard to find one without the word FUCK written all fucking over it! Spec A's avi with the flag's cherry popping moment is about all I can find. It's fucking blank!
I guess I'll do some post print up censorship with a marker. DM, is it OK to let a non-mission control sanctioned marker touch a *picture* of the flag? I need to ask since Stewart feels like he's no longer allowed to go near pieces of green construction paper without your permission.[/quote]

LL - I'm uploading one right now, its a pic of the entire flag back, just in case you can't find one. I'll have the link posted in the Orlando, may 16 review thread as soon as they're uploaded.
Music is what feelings sound like.
E

Postby policerule on 22 May 2008 20:13

that's great LL!!!! makes me want to take french again...

that conjugating verb shit has to go though :lol:

love this part: "The ones that were the most engaged were the same ones acting like idiots a few minutes earlier."

typical!
READY THE BLADE!
policerule

Postby Madgrad on 23 May 2008 11:36

Cool lesson, LL! You know, though, you're gonna have to clean up your act now. You know those little buggers are probably lurking as we speak! :wink:

<waves to Grade 8 French class>

Your Madame is really cool, guys. Don't rat her out, 'k? :wink:
∑∑∑
Madgrad

Postby luddite lady on 25 May 2008 11:47

I don't want to be a thread whore, but since I have two sort of parallel threads going on here, I guess I am one. For the narrative flow of it though I'm going to continue this thread to recount things that happen in class that you may find amusing. I'll post installments of Le Drapeau vert in the thread of that name. (BTW you can find Part II there now.)

I have two classes working on this unit now. I also teach a combined class of seventh and eighth grade students. It's a lovely hardworking class, but by the very nature of it, the 8's in it are always a little behind the other class. I have to fully teach stuff that I only have to review in the other class. Anyway, this unit is working out really well with them because it contains all the grammar, etc. that we hadn't covered yet. They seem interested enough, too. So, some of it may actually sink in.
Since they weren't a part of the initial interrogation that led me to create this unit, I introduced it differently. I had Regatta in the CD player and I told the kids to écoutez. They were expecting it to be the same old boring CD of listening activities that they hear most days. They were pleasantly surprised to hear instead the openning guitar riffs of Message. With the song playing low in the background, I asked the preliminary questions about The Police. This class is more knowledgeable than the other. When I asked what other songs are by the group, my first reply was "Next To You". I shit you not. It turns out that the parents of two different kids in that class actually attended one of the Toronto November shows. How cool is that? I'm still not sure which one. I told them to let their parents read the story.
It's a good thing that their Police knowledge is extensive because their French...um, not so much. After reading Part I of the story I asked them some questions.
Q: What does Stewart do when he sees the flag?
A#1: Throws a stick at the person holding it.
A#2: He eats bread. (Baguette means both a stick and a type of bread)
The second answer reminded me of Alex's video of Stewart eating lunch while performing. I answered in English, "Well, maybe. But that's not because he sees the flag."

In the other class I was somewhat avenged. We were doing a listening activitiy that I had made up. (Yeah, I've made up those, too, for this unit. I'm obsessed.) One of the sentences in it translates as ">insert red headed kid's real first name< is falling in love with Sting" Now, you need to know that this girl is one of a record four girls with the same first name in that class. She perked up when she heard her name and Sting, but that's all she understood. She asked the other kids what I had said and when they told her, she interjected to protest quite indignantly. When she was done, I said, "Of the four girls here with that name, you're the only one who assumed that it was you I was talking about. Hmm...maybe I'm on to something. Are you hiding something from us?" The class knew I had caught her and started the, "Ooooh, she's in love with Sting" comments. Well, it was Little Red's turn to blush. Don't worry though. She was fine with it. The two of us have been teasing each other like this for four years. I'm pretty sure she'll ease up on the Sting comments to me now.
luddite lady

Postby DirtyMartini on 25 May 2008 14:48

Excellent. Sounds like it's going well, llady.

How many parts/weeks will this story fill? Is this the last unit for the year?
Dramatic highlights & a unique musical cosmos. Guaranteed.
DirtyMartini

Postby luddite lady on 25 May 2008 19:37

[quote]How many parts/weeks will this story fill? Is this the last unit for the year?[quote]
Yeah, this unit is going to finish off the year, if it doesn't kill me first. I think I'll be able to finish the story in two more parts, so we should be done in another two weeks. Then it's test time! It's going slow because the story is used to illustrate certain grammar elements. I have to teach them and do some follow up grammar exercises before we move on to the next part. Speaking of which, one thing I'm teaching is the pronoun en. It's a bugger because it doesn't really exist in English. Anyway, it occurred to me that if you translate Stewart's now famous quote, "There's just the one." you'd need the pronoun en. So, thanks Stewart for inadvertently modelling a French grammar concept for me.
Anyway, DM, I was wondering if I could snag your "Just the one" avi picture of Stewart from Savanah. I believe it was isolated from Bella's video, wasn't it? If it's cool with all concerned, could you make that shot available to me somehow? My students are already baffled by how I'm getting these pictures. That one would be extra sweet.
luddite lady

Postby jennym on 25 May 2008 20:17

LLady! Vous etes brilliant!
I began french lessons in the 7th grade right when Ghost was released. I spent three years in class working on the translation of J'aurais toujour faim de toi!
A few times I asked different teachers to please help me and it was not until i had my best teacher who helped me understand what they were really talking about. :D This is the same teacher who at the end of the year took us to Le Pavillon in St. Augustine for our end of year lunch where he would teach us about drinking wine. His "friend" always joined us. and we were always amazed hearing about their world travels. 25 years later, I still think of Mr. Clark with great fondess.
Your students will think of you 25 years from now as the super cool teacher!
jennym

Postby Divemistress of the Dark on 25 May 2008 20:56

(nothing to add but enjoying reading the thread...

There's just so much good to be said about a really cool teacher...)
On Google - site:stewartcopeland.net "your keyword here" - thanks DM!!
Divemistress of the Dark

Postby DirtyMartini on 25 May 2008 21:40

[quote="luddite lady"]So, thanks Stewart for inadvertently modelling a French grammar concept for me.[/quote]

*snicker*

(I can't even remember the pronoun "en.")

[quote="luddite lady"]Anyway, DM, I was wondering if I could snag your "Just the one" avi picture of Stewart from Savanah. I believe it was isolated from Bella's video, wasn't it? If it's cool with all concerned, could you make that shot available to me somehow? My students are already baffled by how I'm getting these pictures. That one would be extra sweet.[/quote]

Of course, llady, though it's not very big: http://copelandia.smugmug.com/photos/27 ... nz3-XL.png

And yup, it's a screencap from bella's video.
Dramatic highlights & a unique musical cosmos. Guaranteed.
DirtyMartini

Postby luddite lady on 26 May 2008 03:08

Thanks so much DM. Small is not a problem. I'll pass this one around the class. One less flash card to make!
Have a great Memorial Day, American Nutters. While you're sleeping in or getting ready to chill in Chula Vista, my kiddies will be conjugating the hell out of Le Drapeau vert.
luddite lady

Postby kimmy on 26 May 2008 12:05

LL We have Spring bank holiday today, so we have a holiday today too!

Except it's raining in London..... oh well it means I don't have to cut the grass!

Can't wait for the updates!

Kimmy

:wink:
kimmy

Postby Grace on 26 May 2008 12:25

Baguette! HA! :lol:
Grace

Postby kimmy on 27 May 2008 19:45

Well........

I need my fill....

Off to Monte Carlo in the morning... being picked up a 4.30am! :shock:

It's pouring with rain there :roll:

But I know how to order tea, coffee, beer, wine.......... I'll be fine!

Kimmy

:wink:
kimmy

Postby smudge on 27 May 2008 21:57

[quote="kimmy"]Well........

I need my fill....

Off to Monte Carlo in the morning... being picked up a 4.30am! :shock:

It's pouring with rain there :roll:

But I know how to order tea, coffee, beer, wine.......... I'll be fine!

Kimmy

:wink:[/quote]

And baguette - or drumstick. I'm sure one or the other will come in useful. Have a fab trip Kimmy. Have some moules for me m'dear. I believe umbrella is pronounced para-ploo-eee, but not sure of the spelling.

LL - c'mon - need part three! This is just so much fun.
"You can't always do right, but you can always do what's left."
smudge

Postby luddite lady on 28 May 2008 04:52

Enjoy Monte Carlo kimmy! If I recall correctly, the rain doesn't last too long down there at this time of year.

Just one funny thing happened in class today. My students were writing a quiz on the passé composé and Sting was the subject of one of the sentences in the quiz. A kid raised her hand and asked, "Is Sting masculine or feminine?"

I should post Part III tomorrow night if all goes well. It introduces a few new characters, smudge. One is a certain "bonne amie britannique" You'll probably pop up in a quiz or grammar exercise later on, too.
luddite lady

PreviousNext

Return to THE KRYPTON FORUM