Madame was so Stewpid in class

Madame was so Stewpid in class

Postby luddite lady on 18 May 2008 00:59

My two worlds collided Friday in my grade 8 French class, with pretty amusing effect. As an elementary school French teacher, I teach a bunch of different grades and classes everyday. This means I teach the same kids for 4 or 5 years straight as they progress through the grades. I've been teaching my 8's for four years and have a really good rapport with them.
So, it's the Friday before a long weekend and these kids will be graduating from the school in a few weeks, and we'd all rather be elsewhere. But, we're making a valiant effort of having a real class. We're reading aloud this pirate story (yeah, lame) and we get to this line about a pirate with "un message dans une bouteille". (Yup, a message in a bottle) One girl that I've always had a soft spot for calls out in English, "Message in a Bottle...I love that song!" I smile and reply in English, "Ah, don't get me started!"
Another kid calls out, "The guitar in that song kicks!"
A third kid starts singing the chorus, but is singing, "un message dans une bouteille."
I start cracking up, while at the same time being amazed by these kids. My daughter is their age and, despite being *my* daughter, knows less about this stuff than these guys.
I try to get the class back on track, but the girl says, "Madame, there's something you're hiding from us. It's more than just liking the song. Oh, Madame, you have a crush on one of The Police, don't you!"
I say no, but I feel my face getting hot and realize that I have gone beet red. Even my ears are burning. I try to control my blushing, but that's impossible. Damn hormones. I have the undivided attention of every child in that class. I never get that level of focus when I'm trying to teach them something.
The girl says, "It's Sting. Madame loves Sting!"
Since I've been reduced to a giggly twelve year old, my only reply is, "Sting!?! Yuck!"
The singing kid is now softly humming a guitar part from the song, and part of my brain says, "Great! This brilliant moment even has a sound track."
Another voice says, "It's the old guitar guy!"
I have to stop this quick before somebody guesses the right answer. I'm already bright red, if some kid said, "It's the drummer dude!" my head would explode.
I manage to say, "Let's forget about it," but the intrepid girl says, "Madame is loving somebody!" This girl is really quite cool. I remember when she was eleven years old, she wore a Ramones t-shirt to school and we had a long insightful discussion about the band at recess. So, I want to cut her some slack, but I want my face to return to its normal hue. I say to her, "We'll talk later." But then I think of Stewart saying that to Pluto in Savannah and I have to surpress my giggles again.
The girl nods sagely and says, "Yes, Madame. We will!"
I'm hoping she and the rest of the class will forget about it over the long weekend, but I doubt it. On Tuesday, we have to do some reading comprehension questions on the story and the dreaded "un message dans une bouteille" line will rear its ugly head again. What's a hopeless nutter to do?

Edit 'cuz my spelling sux.
Last edited by luddite lady on 18 May 2008 03:05, edited 1 time in total.
luddite lady

Postby Chatchka on 18 May 2008 01:08

Gong help you if they learn about J'aurais toujour faim de toi.

You could turn this into a teaching moment...where they have to bring an English language song to school that uses French language in it. Les yeux sans visage. etc. Because, French rocks!

Go get em, Madame. Make their heads spin around.

:lol:
Go Club Tama -- Balls OUT!!!!!
Chatchka

Location: far, far down the road less traveled by and fucking loving it here.

Postby IndyGirl on 18 May 2008 01:16

Great story, luddite lady. It's good that your elementary school students have good taste in music.
Last edited by IndyGirl on 18 May 2008 01:19, edited 1 time in total.
IndyGirl

Postby Divemistress of the Dark on 18 May 2008 01:18

Hey, whatever works. You got kids singing Police songs in French?! Something tells me Stewart in particular would be proud, since he has a slew of 'em.

Kids, I mean. And Police songs ;)
Last edited by Divemistress of the Dark on 18 May 2008 01:19, edited 1 time in total.
On Google - site:stewartcopeland.net "your keyword here" - thanks DM!!
Divemistress of the Dark

Postby nancyrose on 18 May 2008 01:19

I can't even tell you how much I LOVE this story, LL! Thanks so much for sharing it.

I'm not surprised your class picked up on Madame's secret...French is, afterall, the language of amour!! :wink:
To be truly radical is to make hope possible, rather than despair convincing.
nancyrose

Postby smudge on 18 May 2008 01:30

Since I'm named for my mom's high school latin teacher, who had a knicker malfunction in class, resulting in large bloomers descending gracefully to her ankles in front of about 20 kids, I'd say go with the flow, and if they bust you next week, fear not. You will be a person their kids remember with affection, years down the line.
"You can't always do right, but you can always do what's left."
smudge

Postby policerule on 18 May 2008 01:40

what a great story! i think all of us would have blushed a bit... though, i might have just come clean with all of the interrogation.

you should bring in the entire police catalog and make them translate every line!

i love the younger generation who can appreciate the greatness of the police!

bet that boy knows the guitar part of MIAB from guitar hero :wink: it is my friend's daughter's favorite song on that game too!
READY THE BLADE!
policerule

Postby Madgrad on 18 May 2008 02:55

Very cute story! And they WON'T forget. They'll be on you until you crack! :lol:
∑∑∑
Madgrad

Postby policefan on 18 May 2008 02:55

Great kids!

I think you should confess and show off your avatar picture.

I bet they'll think it's pretty cool.

8)
policefan

Postby luddite lady on 18 May 2008 03:18

[quote="policefan"]Great kids!

I think you should confess and show off your avatar picture.

I bet they'll think it's pretty cool.

8)[/quote]

It certainly crossed my mind. I actually had hard copies of a lot of PRule's Buffalo shots at school that day. I brought them to show one of my collegues who is in on my little secret. (BTW, Betsy there is a teacher in Toronto who is in total awe of you, besides me, that is. When I showed her your pictures she said, "She makes the hat, gives Andy the hat AND takes amazing snap shots of the whole thing. I gotta meet this woman!")
My problem is that if the truth comes out, these smart kids will figure out that the day they were doing French word searches with the substitute teacher, I was rocking out in Ottawa. Plus, they will get me flapping my jaw away about the Police for every class between now and the end of June. Maybe I'll come clean in the last week of school, when even I've given up on the idea of actually teaching anything.
luddite lady

Postby policerule on 18 May 2008 03:37

thanks LL. can't tell you how cool it is to have someone in awe of me!

:lol:

let us know if you decide to let the kids in on your secret!
READY THE BLADE!
policerule

Postby plutonic on 18 May 2008 06:02

Cute story.
I'm with Betsy.
Come out to your Students.
They will love you for it.
"Unpaid Bills... Afghanistan Hills!"
plutonic

Postby Maud138 on 18 May 2008 08:08

I love the story. And now the kids will think about you everytime they hear the song in the future :lol: :lol: :lol:
Maud138

Postby Madgrad on 18 May 2008 11:53

[quote="luddite lady"]
My problem is that if the truth comes out, these smart kids will figure out that the day they were doing French word searches with the substitute teacher, I was rocking out in Ottawa. Plus, they will get me flapping my jaw away about the Police for every class between now and the end of June. Maybe I'll come clean in the last week of school, when even I've given up on the idea of actually teaching anything.[/quote]

This right here is why I'm glad I'm not currently teaching. The kids would get me babbling about the Police and we'd never get anything done! :lol:

When you DO come clean, show 'em the pictures of their cool Madame rocking out in Ottawa and Buffalo! 8)
∑∑∑
Madgrad

Postby DirtyMartini on 18 May 2008 13:22

[quote="plutonic"]Cute story.
I'm with Betsy.
Come out to your Students.
They will love you for it.[/quote]

What they said.^

Go for it, llady. The most memorable teachers are always the ones who aren't afraid to be people. Drag in a laptop and show them Betsy's photos -- since the kids actually somehow know the band (!), how cool will that be.
Dramatic highlights & a unique musical cosmos. Guaranteed.
DirtyMartini

Next

Return to THE KRYPTON FORUM