NEW SONG! The Flag of Copelandia 2008 ! by BongoBoy

Postby BongoBoy on 29 May 2008 14:25

Ok.

So you guys know how I am old and trapped in my job.

I live from motivation to motivation with my music, like Stewart hearing my first Flag song. Cool.

I send a message by Myspace to Daniel Lanois one of my favorite song writers/guitarist/producer/engineer. I asked very politely if I could "hang" in the studio for maybe a drum setup session or something, just to learn,be inspired, leech some creative vibes (he has 2 studio's around me). Nothing more. I expected a generic reply.

A few days later I get a reply, 3 lines, "Thanks we are fully staffed, good luck with your music". Fine, that's what I thought. Cool. I Thanked him very much and mentioned that I hope I didn't come off too pushy trying to weasil in...I mean who wouldn't want to hang in the studio with the producer of U2 and Bob Dylan?

Yesterday just before I left work I saw I had another Myspace message. I checked it and it was a the same guy from Daniel Lanois studio. Stange?, I didn't ask him anything.

He sends me a half page message, like a mantra. He says "don't give up" by asking,he says I showed some get up and go, "that shows you just might do something important one day...being assertive, searching for truth in music". It was a huge inspiration to me. He ends it by saying, get you songs together and "hip him to it" when they're done. THAT is the only way he can help me. He said ask him any advice anytime.

Jeebas!

One of the nicest things ever said to me...by a total starnger who works for the best producer in the world?!!!!

I have musician friends I hang with for 20 years and they have NEVER said this kinda thing. It's the same vibe I get from you guys listening to my idea's ...it really does run deep.

So here I am, a grown man..leaving work with my eyes welled up because I was going home to work on some Hybrid Reggae Dub....now.....VERY motivated.

In one hour last night I had all the bed tracks down (Bass n drums and 2 guitars) with lots of delay and was listening to it back in my car.

Reflecting on what a rollercoaster life this is....friendship and support comes from unlikely places. It kinda gives you hope. Hope really is everthing.

I now need to take time off. I need to record a lot, step UP my game.

I will have much better stuff up very soon.

I think YOU guys have sprinkled a little magic dust my way via the internet, this place has done a LOT for me. It's like being connected to something much bigger....and REAL.

Lovey Doves to everyone.

am I having a TOWOS warm moment ? heh,heh.

Cheers to the Nutters.

(I told ya it was a little story.)

BB.
BongoBoy

Postby policerule on 29 May 2008 14:29

[quote="BongoBoy"]
He sends me a half page message, like a mantra. He says "don't give up" by asking,he says I showed some get up and go, "that shows you just might do something important one day...being assertive, searching for truth in music". It was a huge inspiration to me. He ends it by saying, get you songs together and "hip him to it" when they're done. THAT is the only way he can help me. He said ask him any advice anytime.
[/quote]

WOOOOOOO!!!!!!!! way to go, BB! :D
READY THE BLADE!
policerule

Postby Spec A! on 29 May 2008 14:41

Aw sweet! that's awesome Russ!

I love that you listened back to your tracks in your car! I do the same damn thing- my car stereo is my baseline, my sonic temple that is the only place in which all music can be judged equally. :D

Just as with this reunion tour and all the great things to have come from it, you never know what will happen and what the future will bring. Don't ever feel trapped or old or stuck. I will never give up hope that one day I will be back in a band, playing music and having fun. Your job isn't your life, mine isn't either- but music is. Live it Bongo Boy, LIVE IT!
Spec A!

Postby BongoBoy on 29 May 2008 14:53

Remember Shawshank Redemption ?

I LOVE that one line.

"Either get busy living, or get busy dying....that's Damn right!"

Awesome line.

Thanks Spec !

BB.
BongoBoy

Postby DirtyMartini on 29 May 2008 15:00

YAY, RUSS!!!

[quote="BongoBoy"]
(I told ya it was a little story.)
[/quote]

Lady, you have got to stop ragging on yourself! (That's our job.) It's a great story -- and even better, it boosted your spirit and kicked you in the ass.

Only I'm going to take issue with this one bit:

[quote]"you just might do something important one day."[/quote]

Fuck that shit. Every day you work at it, you're doing something important. Yeah, you're not a bazillionaire, but so what? You went home last night, you worked hard, and you produced something -- that's not easy. That IS important.

Cheers, Bongo. Can't wait to hear where the inspiration sends you.
Dramatic highlights & a unique musical cosmos. Guaranteed.
DirtyMartini

Postby BongoBoy on 29 May 2008 15:04

Cheers.

I am actually very excited.

I am having a moment of clarity with my Reggae/Country/ DUB stuff. Like Stewart says you have to make it your own. Luckily I couldn't sound like The Police even if I tried. Gotta get dem new tunes up...YES I !!!

I look forward to you guys hearing it.

Alright no more ragging, no more excuses.

Just Fight the Power !

BB.
BongoBoy

Postby Spec A! on 29 May 2008 15:06

[quote="DirtyMartini"]

Fuck that shit. Every day you work at it, you're doing something important. Yeah, you're not a bazillionaire, but so what? You went home last night, you worked hard, and you produced something -- that's not easy. That IS important.

Cheers, Bongo. Can't wait to hear where the inspiration sends you.[/quote]

And that's a fuckload more than I did last night! (although I did play Wii Fit and started Yoga training, but that's a whole nother thread.)

Be proud dude, you're doing more than you give yourself credit for!
Spec A!

Postby DirtyMartini on 29 May 2008 15:07

RIGHT ON!
DirtyMartini

Postby E on 29 May 2008 17:07

Good Afternoon Bongo.

Loved the story!

:D
Music is what feelings sound like.
E

Postby English-lion on 29 May 2008 17:27

You have the talent BB You just have to get it out there :!:
English-lion

Postby smudge on 29 May 2008 22:25

BB, can I slap you round the chops with a virtual fresh fish of your choice, please?

That isn't a small, insignificant tale: that's fucking awesome. And the awesome thing isn't that you got a reply, it is that you sent the message in the first place, and then when you did get a reply, you worked your arse off.

Actually - you don't get to choose the fish. Consider yourself assaulted around the jawline with a large pacific salmon. And there's more where that came from if you undersell yourself on here again :-)

(Fishy rant over. Can't wait to hear new stuff.)
"You can't always do right, but you can always do what's left."
smudge

Postby Divemistress of the Dark on 29 May 2008 22:30

Aw man! That is so awesome. Here's hoping you and your new cyberbuddy get a chance to meet for drinks sometime soon.
On Google - site:stewartcopeland.net "your keyword here" - thanks DM!!
Divemistress of the Dark

Postby Lynne on 29 May 2008 22:35

[quote="BongoBoy"]I look forward to you guys hearing it.[/quote]

Yay BB, you rule! I can't wait to hear it either.

Carpe diem, seize the moment, live! live! live!, whatever you need to say to yourself to get at your own creative voice.

No excuses! Go get 'em, and knock their tube socks off the same way you've knocked ours off (and speaking for myself, you knock my socks off musically and in person!).
... trained by the CIA to accept vast quantities of information at high speed in binary code
Lynne

Location: "Forty-something now, but still looking pretty good."

Postby DirtyMartini on 29 May 2008 22:47

[quote="Lynne"](and speaking for myself, you knock my socks off musically and in person!).[/quote]

Excellent. There has definitely been a dearth of stripping in this thread.
DirtyMartini

Postby TheEqualizer on 29 May 2008 22:54

Wow!!! Great story, BB!!!
There is no bigger gong.
TheEqualizer

PreviousNext

Return to THE KRYPTON FORUM