OUR FIRST DISASTER GIG!

Postby nancyrose on 31 May 2007 17:14

Thank you, Stewart, for sharing the ride with us! Hearing your unique perspective on the show ALMOST makes up for having to leave Vancouver one day too soon to have been there!
Can't wait to see all the ways this tour continues to take shape...thrilling and surprising us along the way! Travel safely, and keep on laughing! You really are the best!

P.S. to Dietmar: Sorry we didn't get to meet, but suffice to say I bow in your general direction! Hope you travel safely too!
nancyrose

Postby kimmy on 31 May 2007 17:22

Stewart you can just sit on stage and bang your drum to whatever beat you want...... so long as you're there I don't care......

Kim

:D
kimmy

Postby mardee on 31 May 2007 17:26

Stewart, thanks for relaying this story, always a pleasure reading your posts. It's great to hear at the end of it, you all were still laughing and enjoying yourselves. 8) Now that you've gotten your "disaster gig" out of the way, the rest should be smooth sailing, right? :P Keep having fun, and can't wait to see ya in St. Louis.
mardee

Postby kitemonkey on 31 May 2007 17:29

[quote="Dietmar"]I'm floating in mid-air right now. From the kind words on this forum I get the impression that people travelled to Vancouver just to meet me... with the POLICE concerts being a welcome bonus. thanks[/quote]

OH! That was you I heard interviewed on Rock 101 yesterday afternoon! COOL!
david hathaway
rootsroundup.com/dubfreque.net/iquad.ca
kitemonkey

Postby blueboy on 31 May 2007 17:41

This sounds like it would be a great addition to the DVD as part of a "bloopers" extra! I'd love to hear the guys give commentary on some of the bigger screwups, and hear them laughing about it. Hopefully the cameras were rolling. I'm sure you guys have been feeling a little couped up here over the past few weeks so I'm sure it will be a positive thing to "get the show on the road".

Thanks again for coming to Vancouver first! I may not have had the chance to see you guys play live at your peak in the '80s, but I am already getting nostalgic about having seen your first 2 gigs in 24 years!

Keep up the good spirits, and slowly start to sneak in some of those kinetic percussive "Stewisms" behind Sting's back when he wants you to just hold back and play it straight. The tension between what you want and what he wants is what makes the Police arrangements so great, and appeal to a much larger audience...so don't let him forget that!
blueboy

Postby Mrs. Gradenko on 31 May 2007 17:42

Ahh so maybe that's why they didn't seem that into the show as they were playing.
Mrs. Gradenko

I was there too!!

Postby Mercury Rising on 31 May 2007 18:02

Stewart!!
Dietmar, Gert and I saw you after the show in the van as you left the loading bay of the stadium.... you're still our hero! I was still basking in the glow of the show then - maybe it was the full moon, or maybe it was the India style heat inside, or maybe it was the fact that the 3 of you let go this time - maybe the numerous mistakes broke the cool ice and you become 3 guys instead of "monster band".... I was at all 3 shows, and like Dietmar I liked this show the best, strangely, because of the spirit - there was something electric in the air that night.

Yes, having all 3 techs on stage at the same time was distracting and puzzling and the gasps from the audiences were real but..... there was lots of magic too.
Every Little Thing was electric, fantastic, woke everyone up and got them dancing - absolute 'magic'! I was watching you (from the 8th row) on Murder and you literally took the title of the song to heart, almost murdering your kit - what passion and groove on this one - thank you!!
Then, the piece de resistance, Roxanne - a song I love to hate (heard it way too many times) this was Sting's best live Roxanne that I've ever heard, he went beyond the call of duty here and poured his heart out - I was truly amazed and surprised! And then there's Andy.... he can talk! He can sing! He can dance!! He suddenly came alive this time. The electricity that came from you all was palpable, some kind of strange energy penetrated the facade and exploded into raw expression. A fantastic experience for which I am most grateful.

ps - Martini, you'll be happy to know that Sting remembered the "Stewart Copeland Show" this time!
I loved how you spoke to the audience behind you and told them they had the best view in the house, proudly pointing to your fine instruments.... "isn't it beautiful"? Yes, indeed!

Safe journey on the rest of the tour Stewart and thanks for making Vancouver your home for a while!
dive within
Mercury Rising

Postby samburusunset on 31 May 2007 18:04

Stewart, Mr. Copeland, Sir -
I thoroughly enjoyed the FC show and opening night. You guys were fan-tas-tic! Loved (most) of the new arrangements, especially Walking. You are still wailing on those drums!!! Are you sure you're
not still 25? 8)

AbsoF@ckinglutely loved your assorted percussion gizmos!! Freaking mesmerizing in Wrapped. Met some guys in the YVR airport on my way home who agreed you owned both shows. That's not to say Stingo and Mr. Summers were farting into the microphone (re: previous board posts) :lol: You all rocked your booties off!!

We thought we had you safe from injury with no polo playing, no skating, no unnecessary arm flailing, no finger smashing, and with precautionary suspended animation. Who thought the steps to the percusion stage (nice save BTW) and the gong would be hazardous? :)

You looked super flash in the black and red ensemble. Green shorts be damned!!

I'd be happy to oblige if you think DirtyMartinii's on to something:
"(Hmm . . . you guys did great when GinaSuperCat, SamburuSunset, nancyrose, and I were in the house. I do believe it may be necessary to fly us out to all the gigs -- you know, just as a precaution.) "

Stewart - Glad you guys got a good chuckle out of the screw-ups. Thanks for letting us in on the insider info. Think of us (not just Dietmar :wink: ) once in awhile and keep us updated when you get a minute or two.

SS (aka Amy)

[quote="Dietmar"]I'm floating in mid-air right now. [/quote]

Dietmar - I have a pic of you talking to Gert and you ARE levitating. :wink:
Stewart and Stanley together again!! YO!
samburusunset

Postby nancyrose on 31 May 2007 18:22

[quote="samburusunset"]Stewart, Mr. Copeland, Sir -

I'd be happy to oblige if you think DirtyMartinii's on to something:
"(Hmm . . . you guys did great when GinaSuperCat, SamburuSunset, nancyrose, and I were in the house. I do believe it may be necessary to fly us out to all the gigs -- you know, just as a precaution.) "

SS (aka Amy) [/quote]

Ooh, I can do that...I'm barely unpacked!!
Where do we meet? When do we leave?
nancyrose

Postby conroy on 31 May 2007 18:24

[quote="Dietmar"]I'm floating in mid-air right now. From the kind words on this forum I get the impression that people travelled to Vancouver just to meet me... with the POLICE concerts being a welcome bonus. thanks[/quote]

I think I stopped whatever conversation I was having at the time and nearly mowed down the other people waiting in front of me in line when I saw Dirty Martini doing the ticket exchange with you just to be able to shake your hand, Dietmar. And the rest of the time I got to chat with you was just pure delight.

I also think that Stewart reformed the band just so that we could all get to meet together and have some of the most joyous moments in our lives. I've met so many awesome people at these various gatherings over the last few years. It's so awesome to finally meet people who are as passionate about something as I am. Stewart has the best fans in the world.
conroy

Re: I was there too!!

Postby DirtyMartini on 31 May 2007 18:30

[quote="Mercury Rising"]ps - Martini, you'll be happy to know that Sting remembered the "Stewart Copeland Show" this time! [/quote]

Heh. I didn't mind when he missed it on Monday (I knew he would when he didn't say "AS" for the first round) -- I think it was Samburu that was annoyed.

However, from your notes, Merc, I'm hating that I missed it! Someone tell me that there's a boot of this show out there in the world.

And n.b.: Conroy is not kidding about knocking people over to meet Dietmar. He was looking forward to it for days ahead of time.
Dramatic highlights & a unique musical cosmos. Guaranteed.
DirtyMartini

Postby Xavier on 31 May 2007 18:42

We' ve been in the 3 concerts in Vancouver and we' ll be in Edmonton on Saturday. We don' t care about the mistakes, we care about the new arrengements. There are some songs, Don't stand, De do do do, Spirits, Magic, that don' t "deserve" to be in a Police set list. "Don' t stand" is too slow and a kind of a mix between the 80 and 86 versions. The ending of "De do do do" must be improved a lot. May be the problem with Spirits and Magic is that sound too much close to Sting tours.
It seems you have rehearsed some more songs that we expected to listen to in a second show in the same city, for instance Bring on the night should be in any Police concert, Tea in the Sahara, Deathwish, One world, Hole in my life... By the way, what happened with "Truth hits" yesterday?
We' ve been in Police concerts since April 1980 and we hope to listen to some different songs in Edmonton and fresh arrengements but closer to the real Police sound before we go back to Barcelona.
By the way, the best concert till now, with difference, was Monday concert.

Xavier, Toni Carbo and Miquel.
Xavier

Postby blueboy on 31 May 2007 18:42

Apparently someone said that "Demolition Man" was on one of the shows setlists.

I'm starting to think that they should use this tune to close the show and have Sting change the lyrics to "Demoliton BAND".

We're a three line whip...

We're the sort of thing they ban...

We're a walking disaster...

We're a Demolition BAND!

That would ROCK as a show closer and they could all go absolutely over the top on an all out mind blowing jam! 8)
blueboy

Postby samburusunset on 31 May 2007 18:52

Wish we could all go to Subeez and have a drink and chat some more!!!
I miss you guys!
Stewart and Stanley together again!! YO!
samburusunset

Postby phaty on 31 May 2007 19:25

[quote="Xavier"]There are some songs, Don't stand, De do do do, Spirits, Magic, that don' t "deserve" to be in a Police set list.[/quote]

Says WHO?
phaty

PreviousNext

Return to THE KRYPTON FORUM