:?

Well, was just the beginning...

:(
Wildy Pelous!
¡Salvajilla Pelous!
¡The Cosmic Race!
georgygirl

Postby presshallpaul on 25 Jun 2007 15:28

[quote="GinaSuperCat"]I look at this this way: the very early shows were for those in the areas and for those who had to see the Police as soon as they started, to see them immediately...that's the benefits of the early shows, to see them play together for the first time in 23 years, for that alone it is certainly worth it...

The later shows are for those in the areas as well but also for those who want to see the Police after they've gotten completely back into their groove--only something that one can get back to by touring again and building up, evolving, collaborating, etc. over a period of time on the road (rehearsals aren't the same, of course)...Sting, at the Fan Club show even begins with the acknowlegement of this point...and Stewart always said how they picked up steam during the tour and were in top form right off the tour...

I sure hope that those who got to see them early realize that part of the special benefit of the early shows was seeing them first, seeing them right at the beginning, as soon as they started, and that those who see them towards the end of the tour realize that although they may've heard alot about the shows that others have seen before them, that the benefit of seeing them towards the end will be that they'll be in top form...that's just not something that can be at the beginning....hopefully those looking for a peerless performance will get to see them towards the end (or at least somewhere along the line)...

Personally, I am lucky enough to get to do both, and will appreciate the shows not only for seeing them live but also for the different benefits that seeing them at different parts of the tour offer...[/quote]

"For those in the areas"...What does that mean?
It's Vancouver for crying out loud, not Valleyview Alberta. We didn't chose for them to start here and we did not chose for them to screw up most of the first 5 or 6 songs and even some later. Maybe some of you are not musicians and can't really notice so many mistakes in a live show...but some of us do notice it.
It's great for Stewart to speak about this ,Of course. But it is some of these replies that bother me. We get charged crazy amounts of money for these great bands and people are ok with that?
How can you say it's a benefit to see the 1st shows? Anyone who understands tours would rather wait until later in a tour to see a band. That's when they've worked out the bugs of the show. Like I say, we didn't chose for them to start here. And they had been in the city already for some time rehearsing.
presshallpaul

Postby Spec A! on 25 Jun 2007 15:59

Two things- you say "Maybe some of you are not musicians and can't really notice so many mistakes in a live show...but some of us do notice it. "
If you are a musician like some of us are, then you know that it is never 100% foolproof perfect, and never will be. There will be mistakes and you're foolish to think that even with weeks or months of rehearsals that every show will be flawless and free of mistakes. They're humans, and not robots. And those mistakes can turn into incredible moments of musical genius.
Secondly you say "We get charged crazy amounts of money for these great bands and people are ok with that? How can you say it's a benefit to see the 1st shows? Anyone who understands tours would rather wait until later in a tour to see a band."
Are you saying that if you had the means and given the choice of seeing your absolute favorite band ever in the whole wide world perform their first show in 23 years that no one EVER thought would happen, or wait till they are more tight later in the tour, that you'd rather wait till later? Again I think it's foolish to lump everyone into a group of people that are "ok" with paying a ton of money to see what they all viewed to be the impossible. Not everyone in the world is a huge fan, and remember where you are- this is the STEWART COPELAND forum, full of the most diehard, hardcore fans of Stewart. Yes we are all crazy to spend money on something we thought would never ever happen. This is a dream come true for me, and many others on here. A true dream come true. If I had the means to see their very first show you bet your ass I'd be there. I'll settle for 8th row when they come to my town this Friday. For some of us here they can do both, and hell yes it's a benefit to not only see the very first show, but to see how they progress as the tour goes on.
And yes I'm a musician, a drummer to boot. I have screwed up countless times in a gig, and have been playing for almost 20 years now. It's music, that's what happens, and you really don't understand it if you think otherwise.
Spec A!

Postby DirtyMartini on 25 Jun 2007 16:06

Gina's getting on a road to nowhere, so I hope she doesn't mind if I retort.

[quote="presshallpaul"] "For those in the areas"...What does that mean?[/quote]

Self-explanatory.

[quote="presshallpaul"] We didn't chose for them to start here and we did not chose for them to screw up most of the first 5 or 6 songs and even some later.[/quote]

Nope, but you did choose to go to the show knowing it was the beginning of the tour. Mistakes are the risk of live music -- that's one of the reasons it's exciting.

[quote="presshallpaul"] Maybe some of you are not musicians and can't really notice so many mistakes in a live show...but some of us do notice it.[/quote]

Some people did, some people didn't. Stewart did. Many people didn't. But once again, it's a live show. That's the risk you run.

[quote="presshallpaul"] We get charged crazy amounts of money for these great bands and people are ok with that?[/quote]

Me personally? Yup. You did see a great band. The fact that it wasn't the performance that you wanted is luck of the draw. Live performance -- from rock music to Shakespearean drama -- will have stupendous nights, but it will also have messed up ones regardless of how hard the performers are working. Hence, live show.

[quote="presshallpaul"] How can you say it's a benefit to see the 1st shows?[/quote]

Because some people enjoy seeing the show as it evolves from the early shows to the later ones, how the setlists change, how the dynamic changes, how the performance changes, etc.

[quote="presshallpaul"]Anyone who understands tours would rather wait until later in a tour to see a band. That's when they've worked out the bugs of the show. [/quote]

If that's what you prefer, then perhaps you should have waited. Like you said, you didn't choose for the tour to start in Vancouver -- that's luck of the draw again based on whatever marketing decides -- but you did choose to buy tickets to a live performance at the beginning of a tour knowing that you would rather see the show after the bugs had been worked out. We have no control over the tour schedule; we have no control over the performance; but we do have control of whether or not we are willing to take the risk of seeing a live performance.

Live is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're going to get.
Dramatic highlights & a unique musical cosmos. Guaranteed.
DirtyMartini

Postby sockii on 25 Jun 2007 16:07

Whenever you pay to go to a live performance, you're taking a risk. Just a fact of life.

Anyone who goes to an early performance of a show (concert, theater, etc) just has to expect there are going to be bumps to be worked through no matter HOW long you've been rehearsing. Heck, theatrical performances runs often have a week or two of "previews" where the script/timing/staging is expected to be changed (but at the same time, you don't get a discount for attending those performances). I saw The Who on the opening night of their last tour. There were plenty of glitches, rough spots, missed cues, a restart, heck, Roger even forgot the lyrics to one of the new songs--and it was still an absolutely brilliant concert that I had no regrets having spent $200+ to witness.

You wait for the end of a tour and there can be just as many risks--the band could be tired, the singer's voice could be shot, already there are songs no longer in the set with the Police that I would have LOVED to have heard live (even in a "rough" format) but now it looks like I won't hear.

Everything in life's a gamble, and if you expect perfection you're just setting yourself up for disappointment.

We also don't always take kindly to folks whose sole reason to sign up on a site appears to be to bitch and moan.
Last edited by sockii on 25 Jun 2007 16:18, edited 1 time in total.
sockii

Postby vespapod on 25 Jun 2007 16:12

kudos to sockii!!!!

relax and enjoy what is to be

according to Isaac newton armageddon is in 2060, predicted 400 years ago)...remind you of global warming!!! sell all suv's
vespapod

Postby sockii on 25 Jun 2007 16:17

>kudos to sockii!!!!

Hey sweetie, get back to work! We got a plane to catch tonight...

:D :wink: :D
sockii

Postby DirtyMartini on 25 Jun 2007 16:30

[quote="sockii"]You wait for the end of a tour and there can be just as many risks--the band could be tired, the singer's voice could be shot, already there are songs no longer in the set with the Police that I would have LOVED to have heard live (even in a "rough" format) but now it looks like I won't hear.[/quote]

Excellent points. I must say that I am very glad that I got to hear "Murder by Numbers" when I did.
DirtyMartini

Re: We deserve a better performance than that

Postby phaty on 25 Jun 2007 16:58

[quote="presshallpaul"]Sad performance that Wednesday night. Dissapointed was my only response afterwards.
You could make it up to the fans of Vancouver ... [/quote]

So you got a FC show, two regular shows and all the pre-hype that was all over the place for a few month and you want them "to make it up for the fans" ... ???

EVERYBODY: "Oh for fuck sake!"
phaty

Postby animal on 25 Jun 2007 17:19

Phaty, you said it all :lol:
A mind full of useless information.
Quotes are my speciality.

I am the YouTube Whisperer
animal

Postby English-lion on 25 Jun 2007 23:56

Jesus fucking Christ and holy crap almighty!!!!!

You're an embarrassment to B.C.

Can you deny that everyone in the crowd singing along with them :?: That the fact that they ARE together !!!! I was elated that I was going to see history in the making and proud that they came to Canada close to my hometown of Victoria B.C. to start their tour.

By the way Stewart if your reading this punish this poster and come to Victoria :wink: :D
English-lion

Postby DirtyMartini on 26 Jun 2007 01:25

[quote="phaty"]EVERYBODY: "Oh for fuck sake!"[/quote]

[quote="English-lion"]Jesus fucking Christ and holy crap almighty!!!!![/quote]

HA! You kids are The Koolest.
DirtyMartini

Postby georgygirl on 26 Jun 2007 01:50

[quote]some of you are not musicians and can't really notice so many mistakes in a live show...[/quote]

Well, that is the benefit of just a listener like me...

:wink:
Wildy Pelous!
¡Salvajilla Pelous!
¡The Cosmic Race!
georgygirl

Postby phaty on 26 Jun 2007 05:03

The very moment you hear people mentioning the price they pay for their seats you realize they went for the wrong reasons!
Did you see that everybody who was complaining so far always did pay for himself and the wife ... !?
I said that before you don't go to a concert bringing your wife ... !!!!
She might go as well with her friends in another section but don't sit beside each other if you don't have sex at home anymore.
phaty

Postby georgygirl on 26 Jun 2007 06:09

Uhhhh!

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Wildy Pelous!
¡Salvajilla Pelous!
¡The Cosmic Race!
georgygirl

PreviousNext

Return to THE KRYPTON FORUM