WELCOME TO THE OFFICIAL SITE OF STEWART COPELAND: STAY TUNED AND KEEP THE BEAT. YO!!

MSG Finale Flag Report, a.k.a., Yes, that flag was THE Flag.

Postby DirtyMartini on 11 Aug 2008 22:20

The plan seemed pretty easy: the Flag is given to Stewart -- possibly from the audience (killing me) -- and gets hung on a gong. In order to make it work, Jeff and I need to meet so that the Flag can meet the head carpenter (cuz there aren't enough innocents tied into this insanity) and be seen, measured, assessed, and an easy and appropriate hanging system built. Seems easy enough, right?

But this is all going down during what must be the absolute worst time possible. Jeff has got, you know, a job to be doing, and it being the last week of the tour -- in a location full of his friends and family -- that also includes a TV show taping in addition to the regularly scheduled concerts -- he's a bit, well, busy.

There are phone calls; there are text messages; there are emails; there are voicemails. I keep clutching my phone in my hand just in case something can get squeezed in quickly, and poor smudge and nancyrose (whom I owe greatly) are (patiently and ridiculously) ready and willing to jump in the car at a moment's notice. But every time we're supposed to try to meet, we can't.

JB1 turns into the longest damn soundcheck in the history of the world, so that window of opportunity disappears quickly. Jeff and I arrange to meet the next day, but that falls through. He asks where I'm sitting for JB2, so I spend most of Elvis's last set pacing about neurotically, enjoy the sudden appearance of the faux Elvii, then go back to clock-watching.

I had already conferred with Tamadude (via screaming over Elvis's set) and told him that the Flag may have to disappear for a bit and may not make it back in time for gong. He is lovely and understanding, especially having talked to Jeff about the gong plan earlier in the day. But after hanging out at the stage for quite a while in the hope of catching Jeff while he's setting up, I check the time and need to leave: Tama has been waiting patiently for Flag Duty, and I need to fork the Flag over for the night.

Of course, I find out when I return to my seat that just after I had disappeared, Jeff had come downstage looking for me.

*headdesk*

It's all turning into a bad farce. I spend the beginning of the JB2 set out of sorts. Luckily it's a great show, and I'm able to get my head into it after a few songs -- but that night I go back to the hotel feeling kinda crap. I don't sleep much, and I've got to try and put together a final flag-spotting post that just isn't happening no matter how long I write. I know that the Elvis taping the next day is probably not going to be workable flag-wise -- and as it turns out, it's not -- and it makes for a regrettably pissy mood on my part.

I know that it's just a flag and that there are very few people who know about the MSG idea -- and therefore very few people who would be actively, knowingly disappointed if it didn't happen. Jeff is being extremely kind and generous for trying to make this happen (St. Jeff indeed), and I feel like such an asshole having to bother the poor man over something so silly. But to think that this silly thing that would mean so much to so many -- myself included, and presumably Stewart as well -- might fall through because of bad timing was just damn frustrating.

And time was running out. . . . .
Dramatic highlights & a unique musical cosmos. Guaranteed.
DirtyMartini

Postby dafttart on 11 Aug 2008 22:41

Tick tock, tick tock. Chop chop hunbun, some of us have to go to bed :lol: :D

I so fucking love the current episodic nature of sc.net. Always something to look forward to!
dafttart

Postby visions on 11 Aug 2008 23:02

Noooooooooooooo

this is just torcher

Kellie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

you are killing this girl

Drama drama drama

biting my nails

will Stewart and flaggy get together?

will Kellie nerves survive?

will Jeff ever talk to her again after sending him on a wild goose chase?

time is ticking......

well Kellie we are waiting...............
Last edited by visions on 11 Aug 2008 23:05, edited 1 time in total.
Kiss me you fool
Hopping around like a floozie
26/1/2008
visions

Postby conroy on 11 Aug 2008 23:04

This was an epic story if there ever was one!!!!!
conroy

Postby bella on 11 Aug 2008 23:07

[quote="visions"]Noooooooooooooo

this is just torcher

Kellie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Drama drama drama

biting my nails

time is ticking......

well Kellie we are waiting...............[/quote]

Is Batman on? Or is that from some other comic book show from childhood?
~none of my pleasures are guilty~
bella

Postby visions on 11 Aug 2008 23:16

[quote="bella"][quote="visions"]Noooooooooooooo

this is just torment

Kellie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Drama drama drama

biting my nails

time is ticking......

well Kellie we are waiting...............[/quote]

Is Batman on? Or is that from some other comic book show from childhood?[/quote]

:lol: :lol: :lol: so batman :lol: :lol:

so stay tuned to the same Stewart forum

same Stewart threat

to find what happens in the next instalment..................
Kiss me you fool
Hopping around like a floozie
26/1/2008
visions

Postby Susan on 11 Aug 2008 23:28

OMG, I remember seeing you, Kellie, sort of pacing about during Elvis' set looking worried, and I wondered if something had happened to Tamadude. But then I saw him so I knew he was OK, whew. Figured there might be some next-to-last flag antics to be had.

Looking forward to next installment!
Guys, at least we can rest easy knowing it IS in STEWART's hands. But it's like watching the Apollo 13 movie, isn't it?
Susan

Postby policerule on 11 Aug 2008 23:33

[quote="Susan"]
Guys, at least we can rest easy knowing it IS in STEWART's hands. But it's like watching the Apollo 13 movie, isn't it?[/quote]

The next great story is what he does with it now that it's his. Can't wait to hear that one either!
READY THE BLADE!
policerule

Postby copeland_girl5 on 11 Aug 2008 23:34

Ahhhhh, Kel (and Nancyrose) ...so this now "officially" explains this photo I took at JB2 between shows... 8)

http://img232.imageshack.us/img232/7937/img1145hs7.jpg

Looking forward to more...
"No man is poor that has friends." -- Clarence the Angel, It's a Wonderful Life
copeland_girl5

Postby policerule on 11 Aug 2008 23:36

[quote="copeland_girl5"]Ahhhhh, Kel (and Nancyrose) ...so this now "officially" explains this photo I took at JB2 between shows... 8)

Looking forward to more...[/quote]

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Aren't you glad it's over, Kel? You two are hilarious!
READY THE BLADE!
policerule

Postby bella on 11 Aug 2008 23:36

[quote="copeland_girl5"]Ahhhhh, Kel (and Nancyrose) ...so this now "officially" explains this photo I took at JB2 between shows... 8)

Nail biting!
~none of my pleasures are guilty~
bella

Postby Susan on 11 Aug 2008 23:43

YES...that's what I was seeing. I almost got up to ask what was wrong, but figured they had it under control and under wraps.
Susan

Postby smax on 11 Aug 2008 23:48

kel, you are such a hero: YOU made this happen, and bore the weight of expectation from flag bearers all through the tour and even on the final night.

hero's badge for kel (and st jeff and stewart).
<---A photo of me with Stewart pointing at a photo of Stewart pointing at me.
smax

Postby kimmy on 11 Aug 2008 23:53

DM!!

I love the story so far!!

You poor thing!! I'm glad things sorted themselves out... but what a time of it you had!!!

Carry on.....

Kimmy

:D
kimmy

Postby Mary on 11 Aug 2008 23:54

what silly thing? :? :wink:
You need more than the hero badge Kel!
Mary
Mary

PreviousNext

Return to THE KRYPTON FORUM