WELCOME TO THE OFFICIAL SITE OF STEWART COPELAND: STAY TUNED AND KEEP THE BEAT. YO!!

MTJ text updates from Auckland

MTJ text updates from Auckland

Postby Lynne on 19 Jan 2008 17:32

Got 4 texts from Meg just now:

5 min to GONG

Much better than Welly; don't stand is back; Stewart looking everywhere for flag

Just found me before Hole and was so excited, with an exaggerated point

Once he found me, tons of points!! At the mic he said "we'll be back! Hold that flag. Right there. That flag right there!!!!!" and everyone was looking.

UPDATE: see also thread that visions started. Apparently Meg was a txt whore last night, there's a shocker :wink: !
Last edited by Lynne on 19 Jan 2008 17:47, edited 1 time in total.
... trained by the CIA to accept vast quantities of information at high speed in binary code
Lynne

Location: "Forty-something now, but still looking pretty good."

Postby Madgrad on 19 Jan 2008 17:36

8) 8) 8)
∑∑∑
Madgrad

Postby DirtyMartini on 19 Jan 2008 17:49

Heh. I was just typing similar in visions thread, Lynne. So far that makes 4 of us that got text-bombed last night from NZ. Anyone else?
Dramatic highlights & a unique musical cosmos. Guaranteed.
DirtyMartini

Postby nancyrose on 19 Jan 2008 18:03

Aw, and here I thought that 3:30 a.m. wake-up call was just for me!!

Is it the middle of the night in Auckland yet? I feel the need to respond!!

Too funny!
nancyrose

Postby Lynne on 19 Jan 2008 18:07

[quote="nancyrose"]Aw, and here I thought that 3:30 a.m. wake-up call was just for me!!

Is it the middle of the night in Auckland yet? I feel the need to respond!!

Too funny![/quote]

I DID just send her a txt! Funny thing is, for some unconscious reason, I turned my phone off last night before bed, and forgot to turn it back on until about 45 mins ago. Perhaps my subconscious was thinking that Meg might text ...

In any case, thanks for including us in your joy Meg! I love the secondhand happiness!
... trained by the CIA to accept vast quantities of information at high speed in binary code
Lynne

Postby policerule on 19 Jan 2008 18:53

awesome meg!

thanks for letting us know!

is it just me, or does it seem like stewart missed his flag?
READY THE BLADE!
policerule

Postby DirtyMartini on 19 Jan 2008 19:27

Haha. The man gave the flag a shout-out. I'd say it's a distinct maybe.

(Hm. Up until now, has anyone actually heard (v. read) the Big Guy publicly say the world "flag" (in this context)? Am I correct in thinking that this is another first to add to the baby book?)
DirtyMartini

Postby Lynne on 19 Jan 2008 19:38

[quote="DirtyMartini"]Haha. The man gave the flag a shout-out. I'd say it's a distinct maybe.

(Hm. Up until now, has anyone actually heard (v. read) the Big Guy publicly say the world "flag" (in this context)? Am I correct in thinking that this is another first to add to the baby book?)[/quote]

I was wondering the same thing; I can't recall a previous explicit articulation.
Lynne

Postby nancyrose on 19 Jan 2008 19:42

[quote="policerule"]awesome meg!

thanks for letting us know!

is it just me, or does it seem like stewart missed his flag?[/quote]

You just know that by Week Three of the break he was saying to his girls things like "Daddy's got a flag, you know!" ... as they left the room rolling their eyes thinking "There he goes about that flag again!"
nancyrose

Postby DirtyMartini on 19 Jan 2008 20:14

[quote="Lynne"][quote="DirtyMartini"](Hm. Up until now, has anyone actually heard (v. read) the Big Guy publicly say the world "flag" (in this context)? Am I correct in thinking that this is another first to add to the baby book?)[/quote]

I was wondering the same thing; I can't recall a previous explicit articulation.[/quote]

Thanks for the confirmation, Lynne.

My, how they've grown.
DirtyMartini

Postby TOWOS on 19 Jan 2008 20:17

In public, no, but regarding the GG incident, he might have mentioned the word in a post (not sure right now, and did not have enough coffee yet)-
"I.Know.This.Name"!
(Humbly asks for forgiveness to the legitimate owner of the avi)
TOWOS

Location: In the wrong place at the wrong time, with the wrong thing to say.

Postby empty on 19 Jan 2008 21:24

Hello all my lovelies.

Sorry if I was a rude awakening. SOME of you actually said you did NOT CARE about the time difference and to txt. So I did (and no, that wasn't you DM ;)

Blame Apple people- I can now send one txt to multiple parties.It's awesome. I can send 5 txts the whole show to all my peeps.
If I had EVERYONE's txt address, I'd just txt the friggin world (and watch my data plan explode people!)

We're off to enjoy the day on Waiheke Island, touring wineries. Yum!!!

After Pluto's HUGE ASS review on TPT, there's not much more for me to say.
I am pretty sure this is a public (i.e. you don't have to pay to read) thread.

http://www.thepolice.com/members/commun ... #msg189148

I still haven't read it yet. But it's 5 pages long. so, I assume it is thorough.

I'll probably write something up (you know the idiot Stewart girl squeeeee'ing that is all I am capable of) later. And we've got pics.

I will say that last night's shout out was amazing!

STEWART was totally playing and flirting with FLAG, who was more than a little stoned from second hand smoke. Naughty flag ;)

FLAG had to be held up VERY high due to Man Mountain cheering in front of Meg. According to Pluto, this made my, umm, assets, well, highlighted.

Pluto is of the opinion that STEWART was calling for the flag to be held Higher so I would bounce more. it worked. I bounced. Squeeed. And we're not saying what else on public forum.

I am indeed dubious of this theory. However, we do know our boy, and well, last I looked Pluto is one too, so I guess he should know. I'll leave that to them. ALL I KNOW is that STEWART WAS FLIRTING SHAMELESSLY WITH HIS FLAG.

I was proud to be the redhead underneath it.

My work here in NZ is done. I have a date with DHL in the morning. Larissa, you're up baby. And Visions, watch out. Go buy depends. now.
Playing drums is Hard Fucking Work
empty

Postby visions on 20 Jan 2008 00:25

Brilliant can't wait

Melbourne is calling Stewart

roozie
Kiss me you fool
Hopping around like a floozie
26/1/2008
visions

Postby Mrs. Gradenko on 20 Jan 2008 04:30

[quote]and watch my data plan explode people![/quote]
That's why you should spend the $10 extra a month, for unlimited.

[quote]who was more than a little stoned from second hand smoke. Naughty flag[/quote]
I knew you were all a bunch of pot heads! :wink:

[quote]And we're not saying what else on public forum. [/quote]
Did you flash him? :wink:
“...and er, did anyone try just pushing this little red button?”
Mrs. Gradenko

Postby plutonic on 20 Jan 2008 09:33

Yo Y'all,
Here's my gi-hugic post from tpt regarding Auckland. Sorry for the delay in posting here. Meg and I were out on Waitakare getting sauced all day. The show was great. Stewart was in great form, as always. Here's the breakdown:

Not sure what the attendance was last night, but the place was full. And the crowd was in fine voice.
You could tell the gig was going to smoke right from Message. Sting had a lot more energy, and Stewart was bangin'.

Synch 2 was very good, but WOTM was really great, an exceptional version. The crowd sang fairly well, and the jam was great. A lot of nice dynamics through the jam and into the "Keep it up" crescendo bit they've been doing toward the end. They raged into the last chorus section, and then brought it down nicely. Meg looked at me and we both said simultaneously: "This is going to be a really great gig." Something was different tonight. The flaccid laissez faire from Welly had given way to something far more passionate.

They launched into Voices, and the crowd put their hands up, so Meg, one of our neighbors and I did our duty to fill their hands with our balls. We sent up three or four of them and the Kiwis did a nice job of keeping all of our balls in the air. (Although in Welly, the balls stayed up pretty much all night. Auckland folks are bit more ball hoggish, it seems. PLEASE PEOPLE: the balls are for the air, not for you.) There were some nice jumbotron shots of my balls. Made them look absolutely HUGE! Niiiiiice.

The Voices/ WWIRD medley sounded re-invigorated tonight. They were playing with a fever. So much so that Sting rushed considerably on the bass line and lost the groove a bit. Andy's solo was good, but not the best I've seen. He still seemed a wee bit stiff and not 100%. More on that in a bit.

After that song, Sting did his bit about being a schoolteacher, and Meg and I looked at each other, relieved that "Don't Stand" would be back tonight. This song has been steadily improving the whole tour, so I was happy to hear it. It wasn't, perhaps, as good as the last few times I saw it in the fall, but it was nice to hear. And Auckland loved it, singing along in full voice.

Driven to Tears continues to be a highlight in the set. Andy continues to shine on this one, and Stewart practically bursts into flames. Sting's vocal performance was good, but lacked the vitriol that I really want to hear on this song. It was at this point that I looked up to see him on the video screens and noticed that the corners of his mouth looked a little spittled. Think gateshead concert video. Not good.

I have to say, though, Sting played great tonight, aside from rushing mentioned earlier. He continues to be inventive and playful on bass. And tonight was a reminder of what a killer singer he is. He still has quite a bit of his range from his youth, and the quality (timbre) of his voice is so much richer. He really let fly a lot tonight vocally, and sounded great!

Like I said, Stewart was en fuego tonight, and he did some really nice double kick stuff coming out of Andy's second solo on Driven. He was killing it. He made absolutely zero gaffs tonight, so far as I could tell. (With the exception of not name checking Meg. Cheeky ba$tard!)

Hole in My Life was good, the crowd getting into the yeahs. It was a better than decent version, but Andy wasn't really grooving on this song, which I have to say really irritates me. His part on this song is deceptively difficult. It's just "simple" chunk, chunk, chunk. However, it's really hard to get the timing just perfect. Groove is a factor of very very small variances in timing, and the timing was just off. It's funny, but this could actually be because he is standing too far from Stewart at this point in the show. He needs to be close enough to feel him YMMV.

Something else funny about Hole? Sting went into the wrong key on the first trip into the "There's Something Missing in My Life" bit. He chuckled off his mistake after clearly being a little peeved with himself.

MAGIC was great tonight, nearly as good a version as I've seen. I'm still not crazy about Andy's part on the choruses though. He plays up an octave, and things are a little thin in the middle. A good, solid singalong.

Speaking of singalongs, the Auckland crowd fully grabbed the "Things they would not teach me up in college line" and Sting showed his appreciation with an "Ok, ok..." and continuing to give it his all. Andy's got his harmonized guitar line down on this one, nice to hear after the gaffs when he was first trying it out. A note for Stewart on this one: your melodic percussion rack is a little out of tune. It's sharp, which is exactly where you don't want to be, tuning wise. It's been bugging me the whole tour. It really depends on the blend you get with Andy's guitar. If Andy is louder, things sound OK. However, if the chimes are as loud or louder, it sounds a little wonky, which definitely detracts from the emotional impact of the tune. Sorry maestro, you know I *ove* you. The other solution is to have the techs tune the guitars a little sharp for this one, so they are in tune with your rack. But the blending trick should work.

De Doo Doo Doo sounded good. A great singalong from the crowd, and a goofy ending where the "uncertainty principle" was definitely at work.

I've been hot and cold on Invisible Sun all this year. But tonight it had the dynamics reminiscent of its best versions this year.

At this point, I was just getting more balls out to blow up, thinking I had all of footsteps to blow them up. Alas, Footsteps was still gone, so it was time to get into some intense huffing and puffing while the band played the first verses....

Ack, I can't get pix up on the tpt site right now. I'll be back to add the funny ones of our neighbors stroking out while blowing my balls.

CSLY was great, as usual. Crowd got into it, and it was a nice raging version courtesy of our man behind the kit. Thank you, Stew.

Roxanne was in top form tonight, too. Andy played some cool harmonics right at the break into the jam, and Stewart really shined here. He grabbed Sting's hemiola on the "I-won't-share-I-won't-share-I-won't-share-I-won't-share" bit and slammed it in unison.

Yes Sting, you will share. You will share with Stewart. And it will be good.

They were really on a roll tonight, so it was only a bit of a minor distraction that the squeaky sound of Sting's fingers sliding up and down the strings between the "doom-dooooommmm" phrases on the beginning of K-O-Pain were REALLY LOUD. Meg said to me: "What's that sound?" So it wasn't just me. The overall sound was really sparkling tonight, as our friend Officer Dibble noted. It was exceptionally clear. Perhaps this was the reason. Or perhaps Sting had his tone set up on the bass differently than usual? Don't know. However, the tune as a whole did not disappoint. Andy got some nice artificial harmonics on his solo that caused him to get some really surprising harmonies there. Cool! And Sting was obviously enjoying himself, 'cause he improvised!!!! He made his monkey-man noise just before the last verse. Perhaps he regretted excising "Footsteps".

So Lonely was good, but here is where I'm going to dig into Andy a little bit. Back in the fall, I kvetched at him for not playing more lyrically. Everything he was playing was discordant and angular, and it was all sounding a bit same-same. Either causation or correlation, Andy came back with some killer lyrical solos at Wembley and elsewhere.

My gripe with Andy right now is that he's not being Andy. He's trying to force the histrionics a bit, and it ends up sounding forced. He's just trying too damned hard. So his solos have moments, but they aren't fulfilling their function of pushing the song forward as they should. Particularly in tunes like So Lonely and Hole. Lay back just a bit and you've totally got it, sir! Tell that tall dude barking in your ear to back the funk off and, in the immortal words of Lindsay Buckingham, go your own way. You're THE MAN. I want to see that again in Hawaii!

Sting really shined tonight, though. Like I said earlier, his voice was as strong tonight as I have heard it. It was a wicked reminder of what a phenomenally great singer he is. He improvised more on So Lonely than I've heard before. Phenomenal.

EBYT was solid, but not the best version I've heard. Something was up with Stewart's snare. It had lost it's snap, as if the bottom head had broken or something. Meg didn't like it. But I thought the ragged woof was kinda appropriate for this song.

Andy did his "c'mon guys" bit before the last song, and Auckland ate it up.

They then proceeded to tear through Next To You. I have to say, this is one of my favorite versions of this song that I've heard. And it was not just that it's poignant for Meg and I, living thousands of miles away from each other as we do. The band was clearly pleased with the night's work, and capped it with an absolutely explosive version of this song. I'm praying for a bootleg.

Thanks boys for an excellent night.

See you in CHA-waii!!!!

CHA!

dc
"Unpaid Bills... Afghanistan Hills!"
plutonic

Next

Return to THE KRYPTON FORUM