WELCOME TO THE OFFICIAL SITE OF STEWART COPELAND: STAY TUNED AND KEEP THE BEAT. YO!!

Report: my incredible weekend with The Police in Argentina

Report: my incredible weekend with The Police in Argentina

Postby JMRL on 06 Dec 2007 01:50

Sorry for the delay in posting but it has been some busy days down here after all this crazy things that happened during the weekend.
Let me first tell you that this is a loooong post, longer that I though it would be, but I started to write and this is how it ended up. So go on at your own risk. You´ve been warned!!
As I told before the story starts on friday when Mission Control DM confirmed me that the flag was not going to make BsAs in time for the concerts. The first thing I meade was bought a piece of green fabric, a piece of with "contact" (it and autoahesible plastic) and copy the sc.net logo and it and then cut it to paste it on the green fabric. I made an almost perfect fake flag. But I didnt want to resignate and star calling FedEx to try to see the way to get the flag before saturday. The problem was that FedEx dont make the delivers inside Argentina but they hire a local company so they didnt assume any responsability in the delay of the delivery. I could finally contact the other company and they confirm me that the delivery was going to be on monday which was useleff for me. I insist on the necesity of having the package that day and I could finally track the package to a deposit on the outsides of Buenos Aires city, a place called Aldo Bonzi which I have no idea where it was. I talked to the man in charge and he offered me the possibility of picking up tha package there before 8pm. I took my car, ask for some direcctions as where to go and started the ride. I drove for 2 and a half hours before getting there. I go lost 3 or 4 times and every time I asked someone for directtion they told me something different. At 8 o clock I was still driving nowhere trying to figure out where that place was. I started to shout and insult while driving and hitting the driving wheel for my bad luck. At 8.10 I finally found the place, but it was dark and started to kcnock at the big door. Nobody answered and I go on with my sucesion of insult. It was not possible that I have missed it for 10 minutes! After a couple of minutes a man appeared and I feeled a tremendous relief. He has a jacket with the logo of the company! I asked for the person a concatcted by phone and finally could get the flag. I was so happy!!! After that I drove back to Buenos Aires and called a friend who was at the Faena hotel trying to meet the guys. This hotel is the most excluive in Buenos Aires and they do not let you in easily. He made a reservation for dinner (which he never used as it would have meant leaving a quarter of your salary there) and that put him in the list of acceptables. He let me in and told me that Stewart and Sting have left some time ago. He was terrible angry because he asked his wife to take a picture with Stewart and she pressed the power button instead of the shoot and lost the opportunity. He was realy mad and wanted to kill her. We stayed at the bar of the hotel waiting for them to return trying to drink as little as possible as prices were extremely ridiculous for us. At 12:00 we saw Sting and Trudy going to the bar of the pool and try to get close but could only say hi as security wont let you take pictures or anything. Sting was not very sociable either! no words about Trudy. Later Stewart appeared and he sat at the same table with Sting and company. It was incredible to be there talking having Sting and Stewart at 5 meters from us. It was very funny how things changed when Stewart arrived. Before that the table was really quiet and when Stewart came he started to talk and move his hand and body like playing the drums. I realize there how different Sting and Stewart are! When Sting left we took advantage that security was moving and try to approach to the table but they told us not to bother him. We could say hi, shake his hand and asked him for a picture and he told us it was OK for one picture. And as I already took a picture with Stewart in Chicago last july the priority was my friend. I took the picture and asked the security guys for another one but they told me not. We thanked Stewart and I could told his as I was living (or being taken away should say) to look for the green on saturday that it was going to be there. I couldnt get what he said but he smiled in a way that make me feel as we were good friend talking with some code among others and we were the only one that know what we where saying. It was a way of feeling some relationship with Stewart that made me feel very happy although I could not took a picture or get his autograph. And I also saved my friends marriage taking him the picture his wife had missed! I drove back home feeling very happy that night. The next day was going to be big and I needed some rest.
On saturday I drove back to Buenos Aires in the morning to get my ticket (the one I bought by the fan club 3 months ago and still have not received ) and at noon I started making the queu to get to the stadium. As the campo VIP tickets were general admission it was important to be early to be able to get inside the stadium among the first and get a good spot in the front. We where 5 fans there in my group, Lorena, Analia, her friend, Ana, and Mario (centauro) from Colombia appeared later. We waited paciently and at 5pm entered the stadium. I could have entered almost the first but a security guy told me wrong the gate I have to use and lost mi position. But there were not many people when I entered the stadium and took a position at the front on Stings side as the center was already filled. 4 hours and a half for the concert. I had the flag with me and all people around asked me what was it about. They were very surprised to know all placed the flag have been to and couldnt believe me when I told that Stewart was going to point in my direction whe he saw it. A local band called Cuentos Borgianos and Beck were the supports act. At 9.30 the show started. The sound was excelent there and with The Police the rain appeared. I was a little concern for the flag as I havent take the zip lock bag with me (the forecast for the night was cleand and hot but dont worry DM that the flag was OK). I put it on the front of the fence so I could cover it with my body and was visible for Stewart. I believe Stewart saw it at the very beginning of Message. When the song finished he didnt scan the people but was looking in my direction and made the first pointing. All people around went crazy. He has just point at you told me. As I told before the show was almost perfect and Stewart was the king of the night. People went crazy with him and ovacionated him when changing from the drums to the percussion set. Everybody was amazed with his playing and couldnt believe his velocity and his passion. At the end, after Next to you another pointing and then after saying goodbye the three together at the froint the final one, the one you can see in the picture I posted the other day. I dont know how I could take that picutre but I end up perfect. I wanted to ask him for a drumstick at that moment but I wa so hipnotized by his presence there that forget about it. I am still regreting that. It was a magic night which I wont never forget.
After that we went to a bar to eat and drink something (we where desidydrated (does that word exist in english??)by then!).
On sunday I went to the stands with my family (7 years old son, wife, brother and sister) and some friends and didnt have the flag. I have already written a report on that night before so wont go on here. I believe this is long enough. If you made it till here, thank you for your patiente!! Sorry for writting so much but I wanted to share this with you, Stewart and Police fans.

Joe
JMRL

Postby TOWOS on 06 Dec 2007 02:00

Thank you, Joe, for this really interesting story and your dedication!

8)
"I.Know.This.Name"!
(Humbly asks for forgiveness to the legitimate owner of the avi)
TOWOS

Location: In the wrong place at the wrong time, with the wrong thing to say.

Postby Lynne on 06 Dec 2007 02:03

Joe, what a great experience and a great report! Thanks for sharing your happiness with us!
... trained by the CIA to accept vast quantities of information at high speed in binary code
Lynne

Location: "Forty-something now, but still looking pretty good."

Postby conroy on 06 Dec 2007 02:05

Wow, another incredible chapter in the great flag caper! Thanks for sharing!
conroy

Postby TheEqualizer on 06 Dec 2007 02:06

Very insightful post. :D
There is no bigger gong.
TheEqualizer

Postby Bloody Girl on 06 Dec 2007 02:10

That was amazing!!!

I saw YOU with the flag... as I told you before... but well I'm kinda stupid and I couldnt react...

LOL...

I saw also Stewart pinting something .. so NOW I know it was YOU!!!..
I was in front of his drumset!! I screamed like never before... but he couldnt hear me OF COURSE....
so NEXT day.. when I went to the 2| concert ... (i was in the middle too but e little bit Andy's side)... I decided to write a poster so maybe he could read it... It says STEWART!!!! and I think he saw it because he smiled when he looked at the place where I was.. and then he looked again and made a gesture ... so maybe he saw the poster.. maybe not .. but I'm happy anyway
and also happy for you!!!
you had a very nice experience!!!

I tried to go to Faena Hotel but I got lost LOL
and the I had to leave ... cause I had Richard Bona's concert on friday
and yesterday i coulndt go to the airport cause I had to study for finals!!!
:(

But last weekend was PERFECT for me...
Bloody Girl

Postby English-lion on 06 Dec 2007 02:13

Not only did you save the flag from the clutches of darkness in storage but you saved a marriage

What a guy :!: 8)
English-lion

Postby tamalynx on 06 Dec 2007 02:14

Good work, very selfless of you saving the marriage! Thanks for sharing your incredible weekend with us! Sounds like so much fun!
tamalynx

Postby Susan on 06 Dec 2007 02:15

Joe, thank you for your wonderful post! I enjoyed it very much. I felt like I was there with you, and I am so happy that you and your friend got to meet Stewart. And thanks again for all your efforts to rescue the flag and keep it moving!
Susan

Postby sameoldbuttercup on 06 Dec 2007 02:20

Excellent. Awesome. Amazing.

Thank you for this :)

~hugs~
"And now I've done some growing up..."
sameoldbuttercup

Postby Rapa Nui on 06 Dec 2007 02:22

Hey Joe,

As you Know ...I was in campo vip in front of Stewart in the first row, and he point to the flag in message, I SAW HIM and in the end of next to you too.
I think the same of you, we had a gret weekend, I never forget it!!

Bye-Fede
FEDE - BUENOS AIRES - ARGENTINA
December 1- 2007-The police in BA!
Rapa Nui

Postby Nessy1337 on 06 Dec 2007 02:29

Thanks so much Joe!! thats was an amazing report. I am glad you had fun :lol: :lol: :lol:
http://www.freewebs.com/andysummersforums/
myspace.com/vanessacourtney
Nessy1337

Postby JMRL on 06 Dec 2007 02:29

[quote="Rapa Nui"]Hey Joe,

As you Know ...I was in campo vip in front of Stewart in the first row, and he point to the flag in message, I SAW HIM and in the end of next to you too.
I think the same of you, we had a gret weekend, I never forget it!!

Bye-Fede[/quote]

Sorry Fede, I forgot to mention that both you and postinthemachine recognize me for the flag while waiting inside the stadium. So not everybody there didnt know about the flag.
JMRL

Re: Report: my incredible weekend with The Police in Argenti

Postby DirtyMartini on 06 Dec 2007 02:39

YAY, JOE!!! I've been dying to hear about the weekend!

[quote="JMRL"]I made an almost perfect fake flag.[/quote]

Aww. Probably better than the original, I'd venture to bet.

[quote="JMRL"]I insist on the necesity of having the package that day[/quote]

Can you imagine what their reaction would have been if they had actually known what was inside that package? *snicker*

[quote="JMRL"]I talked to the man in charge and he offered me the possibility of picking up tha package there before 8pm.[/quote]

I'd like to point out that, in the meantime, Joe writes me, stinging, and Jose to explain all of this in an email that basically boils down to, "I'm about to do something beautiful and crazy. Wish me luck!" I was having palpitations for hours.

[quote="JMRL"]I drove for 2 and a half hours before getting there. I go lost 3 or 4 times and every time I asked someone for directtion they told me something different.[/quote]

HAHAHA!!! If that isn't typical of that damn flag, I don't know what is.

[quote="JMRL"]Nobody answered and I go on with my sucesion of insult.[/quote]

*snicker* Right now I have every Spanish curse that I know running through my head.

[quote="JMRL"]It was very funny how things changed when Stewart arrived. Before that the table was really quiet and when Stewart came he started to talk and move his hand and body like playing the drums. I realize there how different Sting and Stewart are![/quote]

Really nice detail, Joe.

[quote="JMRL"]We thanked Stewart and I could told his as I was living (or being taken away should say) to look for the green on saturday that it was going to be there. I couldnt get what he said but he smiled in a way that make me feel as we were good friend talking with some code among others and we were the only one that know what we where saying. It was a way of feeling some relationship with Stewart that made me feel very happy[/quote]

Aw, lovely.

Screw Amex -- that flag is the international credit card.

[quote="JMRL"]I could have entered almost the first but a security guy told me wrong the gate I have to use and lost mi position.[/quote]

Further proof that security sucks on every continent.

[quote="JMRL"]I had the flag with me and all people around asked me what was it about. They were very surprised to know all placed the flag have been to and couldnt believe me when I told that Stewart was going to point in my direction whe he saw it.[/quote]

Heh. Ye of little faith.

[quote="JMRL"]I was a little concern for the flag as I havent take the zip lock bag with me (the forecast for the night was cleand and hot but dont worry DM that the flag was OK).[/quote]

Haha. Thanks for the reassurance, Joe.

[quote="JMRL"]I believe Stewart saw it at the very beginning of Message. When the song finished he didnt scan the people but was looking in my direction and made the first pointing. All people around went crazy. He has just point at you told me.[/quote]

Yay.

[quote="JMRL"]As I told before the show was almost perfect and Stewart was the king of the night. People went crazy with him and ovacionated him when changing from the drums to the percussion set. Everybody was amazed with his playing and couldnt believe his velocity and his passion.[/quote]

Excellent. Sounds like a wonderful night.

[quote="JMRL"]At the end, after Next to you another pointing and then after saying goodbye the three together at the froint the final one, the one you can see in the picture I posted the other day. I dont know how I could take that picutre but I end up perfect.[/quote]

Yay again.

And mega-points for pulling that photo off. Most of us can't manage that WITHOUT a flag in our hands.

[quote="JMRL"]Sorry for writting so much but I wanted to share this with you, Stewart and Police fans.[/quote]

So glad that you did!

Thanks for the great report, Joe! You did such an amazing thing, going above and beyond to rescue that silly little flag. Without you, Ana wouldn't haven't had it on Sunday and Jose wouldn't have had it tonight. Once again I am in utter awe at what people are willing to put themselves through for that thing. You folks are kind of incredible.

Thank you so much for going out there and showing our support to Stewart and for making it possible for others in South America to do the same, Joe. To say that you've done us all proud would be an understatement. YOU ROCK!

Thank you, Joe!

Thank you, Stewart!
Dramatic highlights & a unique musical cosmos. Guaranteed.
DirtyMartini

Postby nancyrose on 06 Dec 2007 02:44

Great review of your exciting weekend, Joe!
When the flag completes its journey and its full story is told, you will be remembered as one of its true heroes! Rescuing the flag and meeting Stewart both in the same night...WOW!

Thanks for sharing the experience with all of us here!
nancyrose

Next

Return to THE KRYPTON FORUM