Madame was so Stewpid in class

Postby DirtyMartini on 28 May 2008 14:04

[quote="luddite lady"]A kid raised her hand and asked, "Is Sting masculine or feminine?"[/quote]

Well, it was the 80s. Heheh.
Dramatic highlights & a unique musical cosmos. Guaranteed.
DirtyMartini

Postby luddite lady on 01 Jun 2008 05:35

Here's an update as to how the story is being received by my classes. It's still slow going because it's track season and at my school, track trumps just about everything else. I'm one of the coaches, too. So , that doesn't help matters. But the kids are engaged in the story when we have time to get our teeth into it. I told them on Friday that we have to get moving or we won't get to the end before graduation. That actually settled them down and got them back on task.
A few kids are still asking me if this is a real story. To illustrate it, I've made up a bunch of laminated flash cards from shots in the Flag Gallery album and I've passed around personal glossy type photos. Still some kids think I'm making it up. Sheesh. I finally asked them, "What do you think? I paid actors to pose for these shots?" I guess when you grow up with things like Photoshop, you are skeptical of even photographic evidence. The little redhead girl is a believer though. She finally stopped the Sting comments, too. A few days ago she started on Sting stuff again with me and I said to her, "If you still think it's Sting I like then you *really* don't understand the story. What type of reading mark are you going to get on your report card if you still think it's all about Sting?" I never thought I'd be able to justifiably deduct marks from a student for thinking that "it's all about Sting".
I'm still playing Police CD's down low while the kids do written work. One boy keeps asking me in French to turn up the volume. I taught him how to say it. It's the most French he's spoke all year.
In a kind of related story, my grade 7 class is doing a cool unit on cave exploration. The kids were working quietly on their end of unit project when one boy started singing aloud the Bare Naked Ladies, right in the middle of a rather obscure verse from "One Week". I had my box of Police CD's with me and I recalled that I happened to have in it The Bare Naked Ladies greatest hits CD. So next thing you know my 7's are rocking quietly out to the Ladies while they work away. When a few kids started chatting instead of working , they received loud protest from the others. "Tais-toi! We can't hear the music." Rock across the curriculum! It's working for me anyway.
luddite lady

Postby samburusunset on 01 Jun 2008 06:01

LLady, you are the coolest!! Can't wait to hear your next installment.

It's the teachers who go out of their way to do special stuff that are remembered. These kids'll be telling their kids about you. :D
Stewart and Stanley together again!! YO!
samburusunset

Postby IndyGirl on 01 Jun 2008 13:48

Through music, LL, you've found a great way to teach your lesson plan. The kids sound like they really enjoy it.
IndyGirl

Postby Madgrad on 01 Jun 2008 15:05

I SO wanna be in LLady's class! 8) Sounds like at least some of the little buggers have good taste in music, too. Hurrah!
∑∑∑
Madgrad

Postby policefan on 01 Jun 2008 16:59

[quote="luddite lady"] A few kids are still asking me if this is a real story. [/quote]

LOL
policefan

Postby DirtyMartini on 01 Jun 2008 20:27

[quote="luddite lady"]A few kids are still asking me if this is a real story.[/quote]

Haha. *I*'m still asking if this is a real story.

Great job, llady.
Dramatic highlights & a unique musical cosmos. Guaranteed.
DirtyMartini

Postby smudge on 01 Jun 2008 22:44

[quote="DirtyMartini"][quote="luddite lady"]A few kids are still asking me if this is a real story.[/quote]

Haha. *I*'m still asking if this is a real story.

Great job, llady.[/quote]

I'm pretty sure that none of this madness is real, and we are suffering from a collective hallucination LL - so great stuff getting a bunch of impressionable 8th graders in on it. :-)
"You can't always do right, but you can always do what's left."
smudge

Postby English-lion on 02 Jun 2008 03:46

The Police & Bare Naked Ladies you're one cool teacher :!: 8) :!: 8) :!: 8) :!: 8)
English-lion

Postby samburusunset on 02 Jun 2008 05:23

Guaranteed entry into the Cool Teacher Hall of Fame would be to have Stewart come in for show and tell and toss baguettes to the students (sticks or bread, whichever they prefer :lol: ).
samburusunset

Postby luddite lady on 10 Jun 2008 03:50

As we read the final part of Le Drapeau vert in class, it seems that all the kids are finally realizing that I'm not making this stuff up. Some of them were really slow to accept that it's real. As I suspected, at least one kid thought that I had Photoshopped my pictures.
What got them all to believe is the wonderful bootleg of the Buffalo show. Thanks again Agroovie1 for the CD's. When the class is doing written work the concert is playing in the background. It was kind of cool when we reached the part in the story in which Stewart gave the first flag point. We listened to the CD to hear Sting introduce the band and then I passed around the shot of Stewart pointing while drinking water with virtually the same image behind him on the big screen. I believe that was the same flag point. There was an audible "wow" in the class as "the truth hit".
It seems that the boys are more interested in the story than the girls. As my little red haired terror said after answering a comprehension question wrong, "Sorry Madame if we aren't all obsessive-compulsive about The Police like *some* people." The girls are a little like my daughter of the same age. She doesn't get the flag. She'd probably think it was way cooler if, instead of flag duty, I had been responsible for the safety of one of the Jonas Brothers' retainer case during a concert. But the boys seem to think the whole rock star thing is cool. They're a bunch of little Conroys. There has been a little bit of boy-squee in the class. I might be able to break out the green Kool-aid for a few of them by the last day of school.
The other teachers think I'm nuts. I don't have my own room, but have to travel from room to room for each 40 minute class. I use the board a lot. So when the classroom teacher comes back to his/her room at the end of class there is usually sentences like the following all over the board. "Sting ne peut pas jouer de batterie" (Sting doesn't play drums.) "Andy est né en Angleterre." (Andy was born in England) "Stewart a vu le drapeau" (Stewart saw the flag). I've caught the teachers rolling their eyes on more than one occasion. For some reason these teachers don't use the boards much. Often I'll come in the room the next day and all the Police stuff is still all over the board.
luddite lady

Postby samburusunset on 10 Jun 2008 05:56

What fun! You the coolest teacher evah!!!!!!!!!
samburusunset

Postby shyvixen on 10 Jun 2008 18:54

[quote="luddite lady"] The girls are a little like my daughter of the same age. She doesn't get the flag. She'd probably think it was way cooler if, instead of flag duty, I had been responsible for the safety of one of the Jonas Brothers' retainer case during a concert. [/quote]

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I must remember that analogy when I try to explain the flag experience to my 13 and 11 year old nieces.
Flag bearer - 7/22/2008 Red Rocks
shyvixen

Postby English-lion on 10 Jun 2008 19:18

Wouldn't it be cool if you had Stewart as a guest speaker in your class

Yes we know the man is busy just saying :D
English-lion

Postby luddite lady on 13 Jun 2008 04:06

I thought I'd let you know what my Grade 8 Stewdents are up to these days. The class that started the story later just reached the whole hat episode the other day. They really loved the pictures of Andy and the boys laughing when he put the hat on. But one girl asked why Sting didn't get anything. I was trying to come up with a diplomatic answer when she said, "He should get something. He's the best one in the band!" She was pretty passionate about it. Then I remembered that someone threw Sting a scarf in Buffalo, so I told the class about that. (Of course this is all in English by now. I'm started to run out of steam these days. If I want them to understand anything when I'm speaking straight French, I have to draw pictures, jump around and hand gesture wildly. You know, like Stewart when speaking any language. I just don't have that kind of energy right now.) The girl wasn't satisfied, "A flag and a hat are way cooler than a scarf. Who wants a scarf?" All I could say was, "Yeah. You're right."

Today the other class wrote their stories about what they think will happen at the MSG show. They worked in groups and only had about 35 minutes to do it. They were pretty well written, except for the group that wrote theirs in English. After eight years of French class, these dudes still haven't figured out the concept. The stories are pretty funny, and some of you asked me to share them. In English they read like some sort of warped kiddie book, even more than Le Drapeau vert does. I'll give you one a day in English for the next few days. This one cracks me up for its almost complete lack of pronouns.

The fans arrived at Madison Square Gardens. The date was August 7, 2008. Kellie was excited because she was giving the flag to Stewart Copeland. The Police were about to enter the stage. Stewart Copeland lost his sticks. Stewart Copeland was not able to play. Kellie was not able to give the flag to Stewart Copeland. Stewart Copeland and Kellie became sad. Madame and the fans were not able to enjoy the concert because Stewart Copeland was not able to play.

I'm not sure what's up with the full name stuff. Maybe they think it would be disrespectful to call him by his first name only.

I'll post the next exciting adventure tomorrow. I've order them so that each one gets just a little bit funnier, in my opinion.
Last edited by luddite lady on 13 Jun 2008 04:33, edited 1 time in total.
luddite lady

PreviousNext

Return to THE KRYPTON FORUM