some questions about live shows back in the day

some questions about live shows back in the day

Postby drummike on 05 Feb 2019 04:14

A few things I've wondered about for years:

Voices Inside My Head tape before each show - I'm assuming this is a Sting demo since it has the drum machine instead of SC's drums. I actually love this version and I suppose it was never an official release, but I would love to find a copy.

What size cymbal or drumhead was used to cut the hole in the front bass drum head on the midnight blue Imperialstar kits? This is probably something only Jeff Seitz would know. This is the most unique bass drum head I've ever seen. Most drummers in the 80s would normally just cut a round hole in the drum head around 13" or 14" in diameter. The metallic blue Imperialstars from the early tours and the mahogany stain Superstars simply had most of the front head cut away saving the Tama logo, but the geometry of the later bass drum heads is something different.

Finally, about the electronic drums on the live kits, I think the first electronic sounds were triggered from the little Remo Rototom but I'm not sure if the module was a Tama or something else. Later, when SC made an advertisement for Paiste cymbals, I believe there were some Simmons or Tama Techstar pads on the kit, but I don't know if they were ever used live. Later tour photos show a couple of extra toms below the hi-hat with black dot heads and a lot of gaffer tape. I assume these drums were being used for electronic triggers, but this may also be something that only Jeff S could answer. Also assuming the Tama Techstar modules were being used then. Fun things to think about, but I probably have too much time on my hands, lol.
drummike

Re: some questions about live shows back in the day

Postby giovanni on 08 Feb 2019 15:26

I can ask to Jeff, he's always available and very kind to interact with fans about this kind of details.
I'll send a message to him on facebook and write the reply here.
Gio
Giovanni
StewartCopeland.net
giovanni

Postby drummike on 14 Feb 2019 02:24

Thanks Gio!
drummike

Postby gary1 on 18 Feb 2019 15:07

Hi Gio

So what exactly unreleased Police stuff do you know is out there and from which period?
gary1

Postby giovanni on 15 Mar 2019 23:12

Hi there everybody and Drummike!
Here you have the answers by Jeff:

I don't know where the "Voices Inside My Head" tour version would be available.

Bass drum head hole.
I probably used a 13” hi hat to cut the bass drum head hole.

Drum synths-pads.
When I joined the crew in 1980 Stewart had a Pollard Syn Drum™ with two blue colored pads. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PIE7Tfc3_Lc

I’ve seen pictures of the Roto Tom with a contact pick up gaffer taped to the head. I don’t know what he was triggering, possibly the TAMA DS-200 module. The roto tom was before I joined the crew. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmtYUmpoWWo

Stewart did use the Simmons SDSV SDS V Electronic Drum module with two pads. They were used on one tour but he did not like the feel of the pads. I later substituted two TAMA Imperialstar toms, possibly 12” & 13” and attached TAMA DS-200 pickups to them. Stewart played one tom on “Invisible Sun” and used the other for fx.
TAMA Techstars were not used on tour.

We did use the TAMA DS-200 for sub frequencies triggered by the bass drum.

Hope this helps.
Jeff
Giovanni
StewartCopeland.net
giovanni

Postby Dietmar on 19 Mar 2019 07:42

About Gary1's other Question:

Dead End Job / Visions Of The Night (2 vocal takes) - John Peel session Pathway Studios August 10, 1977
Truth Hits Everybody - Matrix Studios September 23, 1977 (Next To You is "lost", but was also recorded)

1978 - from Outlandos recording sessions
Wanna Know, Roxanne (alternative take), So Lonely (with count in), So Lonely (completely different version), Can't Stand Losing You (quite different), Poem (the Sally monologue without the rest), Be My Girl - Sally (with different instrumentation in the narrated part), Landlord (slightly different start), Born In The 50's (different mix), A Sermon (with count in), Dead End Job (slightly different mix)

Bring On The Night - slightly different mix - no guitar solo
Deathwish - longer outro
It's Alright For You - 2 slightly different mixes

but there's a bit more in Stewart's CD shelves:
Message In A Bottle (2 versions)
Does Everyone Stare (2 versions)
Bring On The Night (2 versions)

1980 - Sting's Zenyatta demos from Ireland
Don't Stand So Close To Me, Demolition Man, De Do Do Do, De Da Da Da, Man In A Suitcase, I Burn For You, Canary In A Coalmine, Shadows In The Rain
(there should be more, and in different versions home demo / studio demo, some of them with a session drummer)
Canary In A Coalmine (2 alternative Wisseloord mixes)
The Other Way Of Stopping (2 alternative Wisseloord mixes)
Don't Stand So Close To Me (2 versions in Stewart's shelves)
De Do Do Do, De Da Da Da (Spanish / Japanese version = both TOGETHER) from Utopia Studios December 1980

the final session at Surrey Sound Studios (with three takes of slow Truth Hits Everybody and about 3 different instrumentals)
the Ghost demos that we know
+ Darkness, Love Lessons, Omegaman, Hungry For You demos
Andy Summers instrumental
Every Little Thing She Does Is Magic (2 versions in Stewart's shelves)
Darkness (Air Studio version / Le Studio version in Stewart's shelves)
Demolition Man (2 Air Studio versions / 2 Le Studio versions in Stewart's shelves)
Too Much Information (2 versions in Stewart's shelves)

one instrumental number on a 1983 tape, but it sounds waaay earlier - no name, no date

demos: Synchronicity I, Interlude, Synchronicity II, Every Breath You Take, King Of Pain, Wrapped Around Your Finger, O My God, Murder By Numbers (? weird, as officially that was a one take), Goodbye Tomorrow (re-named Someone To Talk To), Walking In Your Footsteps
King Of Pain (2 Le Studio versions in Stewart's shelves)
Every Breath You Take (2 versions in Stewart's shelves)

Don't Stand So Close To Me (2 versions in Stewart's shelves)
Dietmar

Postby drummike on 22 Mar 2019 01:17

Great answers, Thanks!
drummike

Postby jeffseitz on 23 Mar 2019 21:31

Murder By Numbers (? weird, as officially that was a one take)

They may have recorded a first run through version without the crew clapping at the end.
"I think he's going mad" Karl van Beethoven (Immortal Beloved)
jeffseitz

Postby ltwoman on 28 Mar 2019 19:01

I'm reading the responses on this page and thinking "this is what makes the SC.Net great! Thank you, All!
Libido Torpedo.
ltwoman

Postby giovanni on 03 Apr 2019 10:48

Thank you everybody!
Giovanni
StewartCopeland.net
giovanni

Return to THE KRYPTON FORUM